Haemorrhoids and Intermittent Bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve literally had this issue since I was 17 and I’m now 49. I’ve had 2 colonoscopies because of this nonsense (most recent 2012). I’m a very small person so it’s not due to me being overweight, it’s just something in my family and well, it sucks. Anyway I recently bought a new multivitamin that has 100% iron and it has made going to the bathroom scary. We all know iron backs you up but figured my body would adjust to the iron and things would lighten up. Not so much. I irritated my hemorrhoids so much they started bleeding regularly and it hurt to go #2 (I hate it when i read things saying hemorrhoids dont hurt when you use your bowels. Uhh WRONG, they absolutely hurt when they are irritated). Anyway, I started using stool softeners and hemorrhoid suppositories. The stool softeners help but when I discontinue the suppositories, they can still get irritated and bleed, which at 49, is starting to scare the hell out of me. My friend’s husband was just diagnosed with stage 3C colon cancer so now I’m terrified. Isn’t it lovely when you hear stories like that in the throws of a health concern? NOT. Anyone else experience this type of situation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do feel for you. I am 74 and have had bleeding haemorrhoids intermittently for most of my adult life. I have had one colonoscopy many years ago after a particularly bad bleeding event. Recently the bleeding was a little more than usual so I reluctantly took myself to my GP, who I trust and like, and she gave me a  thorough examination and said she could see the problem and she was happy at this time to just give me a prescription for Scheriproct suppositories. However, I had to see a locum a week ago. I was told it was concerning a blood test result, but he wasn't interested in that and (without me asking him, because as far as I was concerned, the matter was closed) he insisted on flatly contradicting everything my own GP had told me and  frightened me so much he managed to browbeat me into having a colonoscopy appointment. I was deeply upset and scared, in fact I came home distraught, so I do sympathise with you. I decided not to take up the appointment until I had a chance to discuss it with my own GP on her return, so I now have a difficult conversation with her to face, because I don't want it to sound like I am criticising the locum. What he said scared me so much though, and I can't stop thinking about it, and I know exactly what you are going through.

In your own case, maybe as your gut seems to be very sensitive to all the additional iron, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to see your GP to talk about whether you actually need the extra iron? If he/she thinks you do then maybe there is a formulation which would cause less irritation. At least your mind would be put at rest. It's easy to say 'don't worry',  but I am sure if you did have a chat with the doc it would make you a lot happier. Unfortunately when you get these concerns it always seems like there are a dozen people ready and eager to recount the most dreadful scenarios to make you feel worse, and going online does no good at all and can only serve to make matters worse. If you can't face talking to the doctor, why not ask the Pharmacist at your local chemist for advice? They are very knowledgeable and helpful and would steer you in the right direction.

Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Yeah,  every time I’ve been creeped out from my bleeding hemorrhoids due to reading on the internet m, it always lands me getting a colonoscopy only to hear there was nothing to worry about. That’s why I don’t understand why so much of the information online immediately goes to colon cancer. I realize colon cancer exists but in reality, it’s more likely hemorrhoids if it’s Intermittent.  My  gynecologist always says, the information online is worth what you pay for it, nothing. He’s so right!!
    • Posted

Yes, I do agree with you in everything you say. Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that bleeding is one of the possible symptoms of this disease (although there are many, many other more likely causes), and if you consult a doctor about it they feel bound to get it checked out, even if just to cover themselves. I would be careful about the supplements you take, though, in case something is having an irritant effect and do think it would not be a bad idea to ask someone, even if it is the Pharmacist at your chemist, because they really are knowledgeable and probably know as much about the drugs as a doctor. I don't know whether you are in the UK because we are encouraged to ask them about simple things

If you go online you can find plenty of information, but I think the average person often has difficulty sorting out the sensible, realistic stuff from the more sensational and scary articles, and they are the ones which tend to prey on your mind. Try not to worry, easier said than done, I know, I have read and been freaked out by them all! but you have to try to calm down and look at this realistically. However, if you want to take supplements then, for what its worth, I think you should ask someone before you irritate things even further, make matters worse and frighten yourself even more. And stop reading about it online! Your gynaecologist is totally right.

• Posted

Hi am very anxious at the moment have had piles for many years and a little bleeding, 12 days ago I went to toilet and had a big bleed. saw doctor and was told it was a thrombosed pile gave me creamwhich did no good at all.Spoke to another doctor who has given me scheriproct suppositories but today had a bleed while was out shopping. Am on blood thinner for atrial fibrillation and am wondering if this is why am getting a bleed got home and ok now,would love some help and support thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.