Haemorrhoids or partial prolapse? Getting nowhere with colorectal department

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been suffering for a few years now with bowel problems. I am currently under colorectal clinic and have seen two different consultants. First I was told I had a prolapse, then it changed to haemorrhoids, then I was told I needed surgery, to then be told I don't! I am on the toilet for anywhere between 3-6 hours during a bowel movement. I have thin ribbony stools and a lot of mucous discharge and often bleeding. A sample taken showed that my calprotectin levels were over 500 and it was likely to be an IBD, however the colonoscopy that followed from this result came back clear but showed possible prolapse. I also suffer from chronic fatigue, especially after bowel movements. With a 6 month wait in between appointments and getting nowhere with them, as you can imagine I am getting more and more frustrated and depressed. I can hardly go out and always miss important events nowadays. My question is, does anybody know if the following image look like external haemorrhoids or partial prolapse? Sorry for the graphic image!

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Lee,

Very sorry to hear about your suffering. It looks as rectal prolapse, and you will definitely need a surgery. Google "difference between..." Doesn't look to me as prolapsing haemorrhoids at all. Try a 'squatty potty' physiological position sitting on the toilet (feet raised about 30 cm - could use books etc)

I have done 6 days ago haemorrhoidectomy LigaSure for good, and could see that colorectal surgeries on rectum might be less severe than people think: just remember - PREPARATION BEFOREHAND IS VITAL with liquid diet 2-3 days before the surgery, keeping then liquid low residue diet with laxative Movicol 2 times per day, and then there would be no problems as compare with passing 'stones' through operated raw areas as people have experienced .... in the UK doctors don't tell you all this....just one enema before the operation would not clean one up. Have a good online search!

Best of health!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.