Haemorrhoids Post Operative Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

So here's my story. I first got external haemorrhoids when I was 19 back in 2010. Went through the whole routine of using a balm and suppositories for about a month, needless to say after becoming thrombosed I had to have them removed. Pain was mild and post op wasn't as bad, although using the toilet was a bit hard initially.

I seriously believed and hoped that it would be the last time I would ever have to deal with haemorrhoids, however last year March I had developed internal haemorrhoids. They weren't as uncomfortable as the external ones but caused a lot of bleeding, to the point that one day I became anemic from all the blood loss and had have emergency surgery to have them removed. I believe it was 5+ total haemorrhoids removed. Post op pain was severe, I had to receive morphine for two days and ever since I haven't been able to return to my normal active lifestyle fearing it would trigger more haemorrhoids.

My hopes of having that be my last ordeal with haemorrhoids was soon dashed in June of this year. I had developed external haemorrhoids and received a balm and suppositories to use. The haemorrhoids did go away but I soon developed an anal fissure and accompanying anal spasm for which I also received treatment. In August what was believed to be an anal fissure hadn't healed and my GP referred me to a surgeon. It turned out that I had internal haemorrhoids which had become infected.

The surgery this time around was slightly different. Instead of removing the haemorrhoids, the surgeon used a technique where stitches are used to cut off blood supply to the haemorrhoids and pull them back up into the anal canal. Since it was supposedly a less invasive operation the pain would be less but the first few days post op were really bad.

I'm now at almost 5 weeks post op and I'm still in discomfort daily. It's a mild aching/burning sensation and itches at times as well. I did call my surgeon who said it could take up to 3 months to properly heal. My issue is is that I'm starting to develop severe anxiety about this. My haemorrhoids weren't triggered by constipation or any of the usual causes, they just appeared out of nowhere.

Right now I sort of feel like I have haemorrhoids. It's hard to tell if I have since I have some scar tissue around my anus from previous operations and I'm really at a loss. Do you guys have any advice? Do I maybe seek out a different doctor for a second opinion or what do I do? I'm a 27-year old guy and I'm seriously becoming depressed about this. In the course of 8 years I've had 3 haemorrhoid related surgeries and I'm over it.

Does anyone have a similar situation or solution?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tommy

wow that really does sound awful I'm sorry to hear you're having this much trouble man. First of all, what's your dietary habits like? Do you eat many fruits and vegetables? My symptoms are always at best when I've maintained a nutritious diet that has a good amount of fibre intake. And I also drink about 2-3 litres of water a day. I hope you get some relief soon!

• Posted

Diet could be better but isn't horrible. Could definitely drink some more water too. I actually did an experiment and went a day without having a bowel movement. Definitely had less pain which means they are directly causing swelling which may be indicative of the healing process.

• Posted

That could be slowing down the healing process. Your case is a little more extreme than my experience as you've had a few surgeries so it may be different, but I am regular every day and while symptoms can be bad at times they will still get better with me going each day but just making sure my stools are soft and not hard. Going to the loo is inevitable so I would just work on that fibre + water intake and hopefully you heal up. How is it now since your recent surgery?

• Posted

Hi Jake,

Much better the last week or so. Upped my water and have been using a stool softener. I feel great!

• Posted

Awesome news Tommy glad you're feeling better! 😃

• Posted

Drink Peach Nectar and eat Deglett Noor pitted dates daily.

• Posted

Would this serve as a natural laxative or does it have some anti inflammatory effects as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.