Hair

Posted , 10 users are following.

After taking prednisolone for a few months i had the usual side effects of thinning hair and skin. My hair is starting to come back but its becoming curly especially if I have been out in the rain, which happens a lot recently.

I always had straight hair but I'm becoming to look a bit like Shirley Temple.

Has anyone else had this effect?

I am a bit fed up today as this time last year we were going along the M4 heading for Heathrow ready to fly to NZ to see our daughter and family!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

interesting. i have naturally curly hair. on higher doses of pred, it fell out by the handsful. now, 3 years later it straighter and coarser--limp and pretty unmanageable. and it doesnt much like products such as hair spray and gel that ive used forever. dont think it will ever recover from pred.

• Posted

Don't give up hope, Twopies. Mine was the same, though fairly straight and yes it did go a bit curly. It is now back to normal and I have been off Pred for over 4 months. Hairdresser noticed it improving as I lowered the steroids. It may just take a bit longer for you. At least I hope that is the case.

• Posted

thanks! i need all the encouragement i can get!

• Posted

I had straight, greasy hair and with pred it turned into a dry haystack. I had it cut very short and it looked quite funky and was a lot easier to manage. I think I have tried every sort of shampoo and conditioner that exists to improve the texture.

• Posted

hi Susan, I'm literally laughing as I read your post!!

my Entire life I had long, Stick, Straight, fine hair.

while lucky enough to not have lost much, almost overnight it turned CU-R-LY, course, and thoroughly unmanageable.

I'm NOT éxagurating! I actually had to go to my salon one day to have her comb thru it.....it took her 45m...TRUTH!

last Christmas, my daughter took me to her salon to have a makeover....which, (much to my stubbornness), included a haircut!😢

now, a year later, and down to between 3.5mg and 6, it's gotten longer again, and is growing in straight!! GO FIGURE!! but it was certainly unmanageable for quite some time.

during that time, I got the best cream rinse I cold afford (in other words, not much🙆), and invested in a satin sleep cap and satin pillowcases. I got these tips from a friend of mine whom happens to be Black.....she got plenty of laughs at my expense!!

anyhoo....my point is, hold on. there's hope!💁

• Posted

It isn't unusual for hair to thin at that stage of PMR or GCA - and not necessarily due to pred. Serious illness often causes hair loss and poor blood flow to the scalp contributes too. Nor is developing curly hair unusual = mine lost its bounce with PMR but it did improve on pred and eventually has got back to almost normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.