Hair Dye Making My Hormones Go Crazy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello ladies. I just finished dying my mothers hair and while doing it my heart rate elevated, got weak, heavy legs, anxiety. This is the second time i noticed this with hair dye. Just the smell sets off my symptoms. I had to open all the windows in the house to remove the smell. I am having to dye my hair but refuse because i am so scared because if the smell can put my hormones in such a frenzy just imagine what it could do to me if i apply it on my scalp. Has this happened to anyone if so are there any natural hair dyes out there ? Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi... yes for sure. My sense of smell is heightened since peri menopause kicked in. Like you, I have to open the window or door if it starts to affect me or smell is overpowering...It can be hairspray, hair dye, food smell, you name it.. never had this before.

Strange what hormones can do..

Any other smells that affect you?

• Posted

I had a very scary experience with hair dye. I dyed my hair and that night I felt like I was dying. Couldn't breathe, felt tingly, and strange. I have never used it since. I only use the non permanent kind now.

• Edited

I go thru phases. Sometimes I can deal with smells sometimes I can't. Here lately I can't stand any type of strong smell. I was able to wear perfume for a while, now it makes me gag.

• Posted

Yes! After dyeing my hair for 30 years, I had to stop. I am embracing the grey. xo

• Posted

yes its so crazy I blamed it mostly on my anxiety and hormones , when this hit hard out of the blue this was one of my symptoms even though prior years before I've never been able to deal with certain smells chemical rubber perfumes colonges all would give me headaches which my headaches eventually went on to become the worst 4 years and still counting migraines that I've ever had to endure.. but with the hair dye I just went to put it on one day and got hit with the worst anxiety in my life I felt panicky and like I couldn't breathe and shaky.. I washed it out quickly and wondered what just happened to me..that was 4 years ago when this all hit me hard with my change..and it wasn't just hair dye it was lotion shampoo conditioner body wash, I quickly stopped using all of it,instead I used my olay bar soap for everything even to wash my hair, and my one unscented lotion that didn't seem to bother me and I would rub that lotion on my body and thru my hair to make it soft and tangle free after my showers, even showers caused my anxiety.. no nail polish none of it.. and you know what this all wasn't in my head either because I could be out and standing in line at a store next to fresh cut flowers and begin choking and coughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath and would need to leave, only to come back another time with my face covered with a mask which by the way doesn't seem so weird now a days with everyone covering their faces with this virus.. but back to the hair dye it was so bad I would have to talk myself into a quick session I would cover face with mask put it on and I could stand it maybe 10 to 15 min while doing dishes or sweeping or something to get my mind off it.. then I'd run and rinse out quickly., and lucky for me my hair is like a dingy dark blonde anyways and the dye is to lighten it and cover roots which blend good anyways and doesn't take much time at all to highlight my hair to begin with..but I use the dye without ammonia and that helps a lot less chemicals in it..fast forward to today and I still take precautions but I feel like the worst is over as far as I don't have a full blown panic attack putting hair dye on anymore crazy times that was.. I'm still. very careful though I think I will always be sensitive to chemical smells wheather its hair dye perfume which I don't touch ever or fresh cut flowers , I'm just a very sensitive person who gets panicked can't breathe and gets a severe headache if not migraine around any of it.. I painted my toe nails last week for the 1st time in four years , baby steps for me again

• Posted

oh by the way I use co l or s il k by re v Lon its not natural but is ammonia free so that harsh smell isn't there its nice n delicate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.