Hair Falling After Shaving

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I decided to shave my head because of dandruff etc. I have decent amount of hairs and never really worried about hairloss. But I am panicing because I shaved my hairs and they are just coming out and are really tiny, I started oiling them today and noticed few of them have fallen and can be seen in my hands. Is this normal? Can hair so small (just started coming out of their pore) shed like this? Is this a normal occurence?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you already had alopatia then absolutely it could fall back out again. If you only shaved your head because of dandruff then it might be the starting of alopatia. When my hair first started falling out I was trying to do treatments on my bald spots but there were so many and I had long hair so I finally decided to shave my head just so it was easier to treat. In my case it took about a year but it finally came back in. Oh and it came in white and then turned my natural brown.
  • Posted

So this means hairs this short should not be falling? I thought it was normal to shed some hairs daily but shedding hairs this small was a surprise to me.
    • Posted

Hairs fall out for two reasons, one reason is that the hair follicle has another hair pushing up against the old hair and the old hair drops off and the new hair grows in its place. The second reason is when the hair follicle is damaged by physical reasons or by disease. For example male pattern baldness is a follicle problem because it stops growing hair which is often hereditary. And physical reason would be damage to the follicle by some kind of incision done to your scalp for medical reason. Or hair follicles can stop working properly because you have an autoimmune disorder called alopecia and your hair starts falling out with no hair in the follicle to replace it. I got so angry at the staff at my first dermatologist office who would say to me that I needed to realize that a normal person loses a lot of hair in a day. Well I was no normal person, my first hair loss due to alopecia, I lost a lot of my hair. And when I told you earlier that I shaved my head, I don't think you realize because of my screen name but I'm a female. So it was a huge deal to me because female baldness is just not acceptable in society. Or at least not here in the Midwest anyway. And I'm not downplaying your stress level of having your hair fall out. There is no question that a short hair can fall out just the same as a long hair because it's falling out at the follicle not over the hair shaft. You mentioned that you shaved your head because you had a bad case of dandruff. I thought that sounded kind of weird but I'm assuming you had already tried all of the dandruff treatments available. Did you ever see a doctor about your dandruff? I don't know what it would be but I wonder if your dandruff and now your hair loss is related. BTW are you seeing round patches of hair loss on your scalp? That would be indicative of alopecia areata. However there are two other types. Alopecia universalis I think you lose all the hair on your head, your eyebrows and eyelashes, and alopecia totalis includes losing all your body hair as well.

• Posted

Really sad to hear that, I know you must be going through really rough time because of this and really appreciate you help, respect. I had dandruff all my life I never really bothered about it because when I wash hairs its really not a problem. But this time they are accompanied by sand like hard grains and painful pimples like thing on scalp and my forehead started having pimples too (I dont usually get pimples on forehead) so I decided that I should shave my hairs and now I will start treatment for sebhoric dermatitis, basically using a medicated anti dandruff shampoo. But as I said while oiling my hairs after shaving (its been a week or so) and they have just started growing and really small. I aggressively massaged my hairs and could see like 40 or 50 of small hairs in my hand, I have never noticed it before and never really thought that hairs this small could fall naturally so I was worried. And no I dont see any patches of hair loss.
    • Posted

Fortunately I don't currently have any bald spots. It was when I had my very first hair loss then I at my hair stylist give me a burr haircut. That was about 15 years ago. Since that time I am typically always with one spot of hair loss but I've had very long thick hair so I was able to conceal most of my bald spots. Right now I am taking Prednisone for another condition I have and I think that is what's keeping my hair from falling out. But I broke my ankle in February and it was just two weeks ago that I was allowed to put any weight on it. I found trying to tend to my hair while I laid in bed all day and night was getting to be real hassel. So having not cut my hair in many years I actually got it all cut off so now I have a short haircut style. Of course this is going to be the time I actually get another spot and don't have any real hair to cover it up with. LOL I really want you to go see a doctor. Specifically a dermatologist. from the description you're giving me I really think this is something to see a doctor about and not just try to treat it with OTC preparations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.