Hair growing thicker all of a sudden in perimenopause! Anyone else experience this??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have experienced a host of very unpleasant symptoms since hitting perimenopause this year, had routine blood tests and things that came back normal but I'm still convinced most of the time that something terrible is about to happen to me healthwise 😦. Anyway the thing freaking me out the most is that the hair on my head has suddenly started to grow in thicker and darker. I always had very thin hair before, so it's really noticeable. I can't find any reference to this happening to anyone else, usually all you hear about is hair loss around this time. It does scare me because I have also lost weight and I can't help worrying there's something else going on although all the doctors keep on brushing me off. Has anyone else experienced this in peri/menopause? I would be so relieved to hear if this has happened to anyone else and that it is just because of fluctuating hormones and nothing more sinister!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

My advice would be "run with it" most of us are losing hair 😭. I used to have such thick, curly hair, nowadays, it's thin and I just throw it up in a ponytail, I know I shouldn't, but I've lost all interest in myself this last year.

• Edited

Hello There, GD....

Soooo... many BADDD things happen to us womenfolk during any stage of menopause. That being said, your hair growing thicker is a plus; live and embrace this pocket of positivity! Fluctuating hormones are a force to be reckoned with, its hard to pinpoint their intensities.... And on that note, be well my menopausal sistah, and remember to drink plenty of H20.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.