HAIR loss??????

Posted , 11 users are following.

I began taking celexa (citalopram) this past March, started on 5mg (cut 10 in 1/2) then slowly went to 10mg, then 15, now on 20 and holding. I think this med saved my life. I had a horrible winter last winter, scared me to death, thoughts of suicide, stopped eating, lost 15 pounds (a lot for me). I lost my daughter, only child, 8 years ago this past March and have been struggling to survive and deal with this huge loss. This med has reduced my intrusive thoughts by 75%, allowed all the therapy I have been through to actually WORK by changing my self blame and what ifs, reduced anxiety so I don't have to take Xanax during the day, it's a miracle. BUT I started to lose hair in early summer, a lot of hair: not on my pillow or anything, but there are patches on my head. Dermatologist says it is not permanent, not pattern hair loss, but due to long term stress and very poor diet and rapid weight loss last winter. My hair is long, hard to tell if the loss is continuing or has become a normal amount. I'm afraid it's the celexa. I get side effects to almost every drug I'm given, rare side effects. Has anyone had hair loss with this drug? I can't find it as a side effect anywhere and psychiatrist says no it is not the celexa. If you did have it, did your hair loss stop? It takes hair a long time to recover, months and months. TY.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hiya, i don't know if anyone is still here to help. im having the same problems. my hair is coming out all the time in the front and on top. i can run my hands through my hair and at least 8 strands will come out, not always but 9/10 times hair just keeps coming. im 8 months postpartum, i know this hairloss is different to PP and the only thing i can put it down to is cit, as it started when i started to take cit. can anyone advise if it stops or will it carry on as long as im on cit? ive had some pretty nasty side effects from it, im only on day 18 so still struggling but not half as much as i was before taking them. im starting to feel slightly more myself as the days progress. any advise will be helpfull or even if people are going through the same, it makes you feel like less alone.

• Posted

hi I know this post was a while ago hope you get it I started 40mg of citrapram and my hair is falling out rapidly what was your end result did it grow back ?

• Posted

hi sorry to jump on your post im having the same issue I started 40mg and my hair is coming out what did you do in the end did it grow back ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.