Hair loss

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have suffered with noticeable hair loss and hair thinning, my doctor said all the hair I have lost should grow back. I have only been on the medication for a week but am still noticing hair loss and am very distressed. How long will it be before the hair loss stops and I start to notice new hair regrowth?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank You!! sooo much for your post I had not noticed any hair loss just thought my hair was finer and not much body as usual, my hair type is fine but plenty of it but this weekend I was bending over and my daughter said Mum your hair looks really thin near the crown and when she looked further through my hair could see noticeable patches I had over the last months got a couple of red spots i thought they were gnat bites but after discovering these bald patches I have made an appt at doctors (friday) so i will post the outcome I am so scared my hair will not grow back to normal, I am currently taking 50mg of levothyroxine my last blood test was high so I was told to decrease from 75mg to 50mg
  • Posted

This is an old post and I'm sorry to squash hope but I need to speak truth. First of all, why are so many people having thyroid issues. 2nd I been on meds for around 2 years and I had very healthy, long hair. In fact, the dry, brittleness of my hair and fatigue are the reasons I went to dr. for a physical. I was put on levothyxine or whatever and my hair loss was immense. I researched and believed going on armour thyroid would help. Several years in and I have a fistfull of hair everytime I comb it. It is very depressing. They told me it was hereditary male pattern baldness. Uh no it's not its thyroid meds! It doesn't get better!
  • Posted

I too suffered hairloss for years but none of the doctors I saw would help me because my TSH was "normal" and my hair thinning wasn't "severe" (i.e. I wasn't going bald). However, I knew (always trust your instincts) that it wasn't normal.

Then finally, finally, I started on dessicated thyroid and like you I was disheartened when my hair continued to fall out, even as far as three months into it. Not only that, but it got worse!

Normally, my hair would come out moslty when I washed it in the shower. But when it got worse, I found it covering my pillow. Needless to say I was concerned.

However, I persisted with the dessicated thyroid, and after 4 months, it reached a tipping point I finally started noticing a visible reduction in my hair loss, even when I washed my hair.

It's been 6 months now, and I hardly find any hair in the shower, or even on my brush anymore. I am extremely happy with this and I look forward to the summer to see how much thicker my hair will look by then.

Here is what I did: I started on 40mg of dessicated thyroid for 2 weeks, then I increased my intake by 40mg every other week: week 1-40mg, week 3-80mg, week 5-120mg, week 7-160mg, week 9 to 12-200mg. Then by week 13 I had to switch to another brand that only comes in 130mg capsules, so I take 2 of those for a total of 260mg every day. 

I was worried at first that it would be too much, but my body has responded well (no signs of hyperthyroidism), my hair loss has stopped and I have more energy, so I'm happy. I am still taking the same quantity now.

Just one note of caution: my hair loss stopped around the time I switched brands, so it's possible that the superior quality had to do with it. It's impossible to know for sure, but bear that in mind and ensure you take a reputable, good quality dessicated thyroid. I would also recommend a product that is as pure as possible, and preferably not mixed with any other ingredients.

Another recommendation would be to take your time (but not too long) between increases: listen to your body. My rule of thumb: minimum 2 weeks in between and the higher the quantity, the longer you should stay at that dosage before increasing again. For instance, I stayed at 200mg for 4 weeks before going up to 260mg. Also, if you find a dosage that gets you the results you want and that makes you feel good, I wouldn't risk increasing it again and getting too much only to have to come back down.

My final recommendation would be to trust yourself, what your body tells you and what your instincts tell you. Sadly, it seems the vast majority of doctors are ill-equipped to help patients with thyroid issues so it's up to us to find the information we need and I hope that what I just shared will be as helpful to you as I think it would have been to me only a few months ago.

• Posted

Thank you for this most helpful post. I wonder if you could share the names of the brands you mentioned. It will be a great help, since I have this dilemma with Armour and Nature-throid. I had been on Armour for years and mostly feeling ok. An endocrinologist pushed me to switch to Synthroid, she basically left me no other choice, which had been the worst for me, a year of awful symptoms including massive hair thinning and loss. After a year of being miserable I decided to change my doctor to someone who prescribes a NDT. This new doctor believes in Nature-Throid as the superior product and the most pure NDT, but after almost 5 months I am not seeing hair regrowth, and my hair thinning is still continuing noticeably. Could you please share what brand of NDT have you been on that you've had this good experience with, in regards to hair regrowth? I would very much appreciate it.

• Posted

I have been receiving treatment for hypothroid for many years. I started on synthroid which was not controlling it. Was switched to levothyroxine which leveled my thyroid numbers but has done nothing for hair loss or the over all thinning of my hair. It is very distressing. The hair breakage and thinning is the reason I was tested in the first place. What can I do to regain my hair?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.