Hair loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone before finding out I have Graves disease I was getting some hair loss that was one of my symptoms. I am currently on carbimazole all going well thyroid levels good the thing is though my hair loss has became much worse than it was before falling out lots while in the shower also while brushing my hair im having to clean my brush every 2 days because it is full of hair. I have noticed it is much thinner than before im really upset by this. Anyone had this happen? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Fortunately I was MPB before being diagnosed and my GP says it's not due to Graves. Damn! Just when I thought I had a chance to grow some hair!

I understand the thought of losing your hair will be depressing. I used to have long hair (down to my backside!) and eventually I receeded and shaved it all off as I was starting to look like Bill Bailey. It took me a while to get used to being folically challenged amd I imagine it will be worse for a female.

I hope things improve for you.

• Posted

Yes this happened to me after being diagnosed. Coincidentally, when i was diagnosed (nearly 4 years ago) my friend was too and we both suffered hair loss. Don't worry as it will grow back. I lost hair at the top and sides, my parting was obvious. It can be very upsetting as hair is everywhere and no matter what you do it falls BUT it does stop. It took a few months I think. I just remember that whilst i was losing hair, I had lots of baby hair too. Think it took my friend a little longer to stop. My Endo said that my hormones were playing catchup and there is a delay.
  • Posted

Mine started in 2009 and although I went into remission it never came back. It hasn't gor worse but due to age and other issues my hair is getting thinner. I'll get a

wig if it gets too bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.