Hair Loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

so how you deal with hair loss.. I know it is vain, but it is really causing me to get depressed with this....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your hair makes you happy n when its not right you get depressed. Mine was thin to start with but now it's even thinner. I now style my hair a different way trying to cover the thinner side.I have prominent part at top back n have to rely on a mirror or my husband to say if its covered. I went in chemist and they said if hair loss is due to medication or illness their products on sale wouldn't help. Does anyone else know or do we have to learn to live with it
  • Posted

Hi Sandra. Are you on Methotrexate by any chance? The first time I started on this I lost a lot of hair, and I mean a LOT. After 4 months I was so distraught my Rheumy said stop taking it, even though it had already worked so well for my RA. During this time I had tried every product I could find, one of which made it worse (a hair growth boosting serum). My hair recovered and grew back although coarser. About 7 months later I agreed to give it another try. This time my hair thinned a bit but then stopped and regrew underneath again. Since then I've been fine touch wood. In answer to your question, the only thing I found helpful was to use a thickening or body building shampoo and conditioner. I use a Redken one called Bodifull but there are loads of others out there. I keep my hair quite short and have some layers cut in to give it some lift when I blowdry. I'm kind to my hair and don't overdo the washing or use too much hairspray etc. Good luck and if it gets too upsetting, do speak to your doctor about it. There are other drugs you can try. Angela.
  • Posted

Is this a result of being too long on methotrexate?

If not, there's a product called, I think, something like Minoxidil, which really seems to work. My friend grew thicker hair in her sixties using the stuff than she had had in her thirties!

Horrid smell, though.

I tried it and it didn't do anything for me, but I gather that's because my own hair loss is a result of the MTX.

• Posted

I have just started on the methotrexate and hair loss will bug me too.  I have thin hair to begin with.  If it gets really bad I will resort to wigs or some type of hair piece.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.