Hair loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

I haven't been on for awhile as I've been depressed due to me balltling hair loss

I'm at my wits end now

It's been really emotional

I've asked my GP if I can have permanent treatment on the NHS

But he says he didn't think it was related to the HH

yet I've been talking to a lot of patients who's also struggling with the same problem

When will they listen to us patients & see we all suffer similar or the same symptoms

How can they help treat us if they aren't listening

I'm so frustrated & feel so run down with everything

Venesection is knocking me off my feet few days after the treatment & getting a lot of cramp at back of my legs which has caused me falling down the stairs

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! Hair loss is one of the key symptoms of HH! I suggest you copy the list of symptoms from the Haemochromatosis Society website and take them to your GP and ask again. I have hair loss, it was how I became diagnosed. It could also be under active thyroid which I also have but it seems the two conditions are closely linked.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa ,

I told my GP that it's linked to HH ,

He told me he now thinks mine isn't as said it's normally when the levels are very high

Though mine isn't he thinks it's alopecia

I'm convinced it's due to HH or even vitamin D deficiency

I've had my eyebrows done today

My fiancé paid so I could start to feel normal again

My hair has thinned massively

It's breaking & loosing quite a lot

Though my hair is past my bum it used to be quite thick & all the same length all the way round

Now it's thinned out & has snapped making it shorter in a lot of places

I don't think it matters what your levels are

Even my nails are like paper I can literally bend them forwards & backwards

So I have to wear false ones

I am going to request to be tested for an underactive thyroid

I think these tests should be routine for us HH patients anyway x

• Posted

Hi, my hair went very thin it was coming out in chunks before I was diagnosed so I went on imedeen 50 plus tabs £60 per month but 10 months on my hair has grown back thick I also take 25mg zinc tabs daily the difference is amazing thick hair again but it takes approx 6 months before you notice hope this helps.

Kind Regards Irene

• Posted

I had the same problem; my hairdresser finally cut my hair short and for some reason, the amount of hair I had been losing lessened.  No idea why.  She was quite concerned as my hair had been getting very thin.  She also suggested Biotin.  (Can't take the Hair, Skin and Nails Formula!) 

• Posted

My hair is always over my bedroom carpet

Though it's very long it looks more

But it's never came out before

It's getting me down as breaking a lot x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.