Hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can anyone tell me is it normal to have hair loss when on methotrexate I have been taking it for over a year. I have lost hair under my arms, on my legs and my arms. My hair on my head has become thin and like a babys hair. Not sure if it is that drug or something else I use. Hope to hear your replies.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

Just wondered, are you in the UK?

In its most potent form, MTX is used for chemotherapy. It is also used to terminate ectopic pregnancies. It can have nasty side effects which is why you should be monitored closely when taking it.

I had to read pages of information and sign to acknowledge i had read it before being prescribed it.

The best advice i can give you, make an appointment to see you're GP or contact your consultant at the hospital.

Good luck x

• Posted

Yes I am in the UK I understand about it being used as chemo I take 4 x 2.5mg am and same pm once a week folic acid 1 x 5mg once a week I also take a med that is used for malaria 2 each day. I just have not seen anything about hair loss.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

I am in the north of England and I have been on methotrexate this time since last October and yes it has made my hair thinner, which is not nice, I do think mine has settled down a bit though, at first I could feel it on my hands when conditioning after washing it seemed to come out in handfuls I was panicking, at that time I was taking 6 methotrexate per week and a couple of days later like you, I took one 5mg folic acid my rheumatologist told me to take a 5mg folic acid 6 days a week leaving out methotrexate day, and I do believe it's helped a lot with my hair, it's starting to look shiny again, maybe you could ask about it, good luck

• Posted

Thanks for that link I have read it and will be speaking to a dermatologist soon my consultant has refered me. I have also been prescribed a vitamin B tablet daily my hair is begining to look better. But in the meen time I have some realy nice wigs.
  • Posted

I'm assuming you are taking this for an autoimmune illness.  Biotin (a B vitamin supplement) is said to help if you take it every day.  I had to up my Folic Acid to 4 mg a day.  You might check with you doctor about upping the Folic and if its ok for you to add Biotin.  I also take a B12 supplement since Methotrexate causes that deficiency.  As long as you aren't taking the methotrexate for cancer, folic acid has been shown to be ok at much higher doses than the 5 mg 1 x week - and it makes you feel SO much better.

• Posted

Yes! Methotrexate does cause hair loss!! Take folic acid daily !!!
  • Posted

Hi

Yes it does unfortunately, like you I took it and the folic acid and the hydroxychloroquine. The MTX wasn't helping me much and I am now on something else. Still having hair loss, perhaps due to autoimmune disease but not coming out in handfuls anymore thankfully. Hair is not as strong as it used to be but the thin patches which were bad are now growing back, but very slowly. Cannot fully blame the MTX for it, but was certainly a contributing factor. Good luck with your condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.