Hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been on levothyroxine for 2 weeks and have noticed I am losing hair, not to a large extent thank goodness but I am noticing much more hair on my brush and also on my clothing. I feel anxious and concerned about this and am wondering if it has happened to anyone else, or if anyone could give me any advice to help stop it. Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I’ve been on Levothyroxine for 17yrs & my hair is half the thickness it was. I’m at my wits end but doctors take no notice when I mention my anxiety of it

• Posted

Hi Cindy  I’m new to this as well. Have been on 25 mcg of Levothyroxine for just a little over 2 months now (was diagnosed in Feb but am assuming I’ve had this for many years) & altho I’ve noticed thinning hair over the last several years (that I’d always attributed to getting older)  I have def noticed more hair loss since starting Levo.  It’s upsetting of course but am hoping it lessens once my dose is correct? I just got my new bloodwork results back & need to post them ...they are all such a wealth of knowledge here that unfortunately most of our Drs aren’t. I’m really anxious for advice as well on the hair loss  ...& most importantly the test results! Tnx for this post Cindy  & will continue to follow it ..hang in there smile

• Posted

There are many symptoms associated with an under active thyroid or hypothyroidism....they develop in time. Hair thinning and hair loss are typical of an under active thyroid. Not much you can do about it...becoming anxious about it will get you nowhere.

You need to look at your lifestyle, your diet....it is an autoimmune disease. Invest in good supplements, try an holistic approach, good shampoos, conditioners and masks...I use Kerastase. Wheat free, sugar free diet....lots of vegetables and fruit, exercise....there is no quick fix.

• Posted

Hi Cindy, I got diagnosed in September and my hair is just now getting its strength back. Stress does a number on your hair and diet so it may be helpful to work on those if you’re unbalanced. Also, I started   Using better hair products, shampoos that aren’t too abrasive. I tried biolage because it’s paraben free and it’s not alcohol based. it didn’t solve the problem but it helped with maintaining what I had and give it a volume boost. 
  • Posted

Hi Cindy if you have thyroid problems unfortunately nothing you can do to stop hair loss, I know I've had thyroid probs and then the past few years autoimmune problems which have made hair loss worse. I bought hair toppers which are an absolute God send, and now as the hair loss over my forehead gets worse I've bought a few human hair wigs though some synthetic ones are also good. No point getting stressed about it easier to just accept the situation becaue it won't change but as I say topprs and wigs out their very natural looking - even better than my own hair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.