hair loss after being ventalated in icu/itu

Posted , 5 users are following.

my hair is falling out 3 months after being in itu on a resperator. has this happened to any one else and is there anything i can do to stop it?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My adult son was recently on a ventilator for 2 weeks in ICU for sepsis, and came home with a couple bald patches in his otherwise very thick hair. He has many medical problems and I never would have thought it was being vented that caused the bald patches, but now that I saw your posting, I am wondering.....
  • Posted

I've never heard of being on a ventilator in ICU causing hair loss. However , if you were ill enough to be in ICU  , or if you had an infection difficult to  resolve whil ICU &  rec'd certain antibiotics , some antibiotics can cause loss loss .  Find out what antibiotics  you have taken over the past  few years & look into that . 
  • Posted

I know your post is over a year old, but just in case anyone else arrives here. I was in icu for one month 3 months ago, now loosing a lot of hair. I had a follow up to help with the shock of ending up in icu. They assured me that hair loss is quite usual for someone who was as ill as I was (sepsis and ventilator acquired pneumonia) and who have been in a medically induced coma as I had been for 12 days. I was told the hair will grow back but can sometimes grow back different in quality and/or colour. 

Its pretty stressful in itself loosing so much hair both when I brush and when I wash it.

victorvain I pray mine comes back minus all the grey!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.