hair loss after major surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a kidney transplant 6 months ago.the surgery lasted 3-4 hours.I went to a dermatologist because my hair was beginning to fall out. I didn't know if my meds were the cause? She said the cause was the surgery and everyone who undergoes major surgery goes through this.

Has  anyone experienced this? If so how long did it last? Did it frighten you? Please share it with me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Its the effects of the Immunosuppressants that you are probably taking.   Its not unusual and your hair should gradually recover as your drugs are adjusted to the minimum needed.   What drugs are you taking?
    • Posted

Hi Marina

To  answer you question: My meds are: Envarsus XR..5mg daily. ( I had been on Tacro..3mg in AM and 3mg PM. This change began 5 days ago.)

Prednisone..5mg ..daily

• Posted

As well as the Immunosupressants you are taking your body has undergone a massive shock by having this sort of surgery.  It has gone into "Survival "mode so anything that was not essential to life has been ignored in favour of  survival.    Blood circulating to your hair would be at a minimum and this would have started 6 months ago.    You are now seeing the result of that blood loss as your hair thins.   Your drugs are being adjusted which is great. Envarsus XR is Tacro but just once a day  and at an adjusted dose. 

I think you will gradually see your hair begin to thicken again as your body settles down and heals but it may take up to 2 years or so.    Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.