Hair loss and benepali

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

has anyone experienced hair loss with using benepali - if so does it settle down 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi rozanne,

I am expierencing hair loss. I was diagnoised with RA about 7 months ago. My dr. started me on methotrexate. I also am on Ranitadine. I am not sure if this is a symtom of the RA or a side effect of the meds. I have asked my Rheumotologist to test me for B12 deficiency and thats where i am now. The texture of my hair has changed completely and it wasn't gradual. It is completely dry and it now falls out in chuncks from the root. Before i had breakage but nothing in comparison to now. Please let me know if it gets better and what you did. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi

Don't know about benepali but when I was on MTX I had a lot of hair loss.   And also on a drug for Crohns called asacol that caused hair loss.   I am on cimzia and I do have hair loss but it has slowed down.  I take a biotin supplement  b/c it has been suggested to help with slowing hair loss.  And use a shampoo that helps with hair loss --or so it says.  I am beginning to wonder if it is just part of having RA.   The texture of my hair has also changed.  extremely fine and won't hold a little curl.   I hate it but I don't want to buy a wig now  

Gloria

• Posted

MTX will cause you to lose hair. I'm on Xeljanz XR now and starting to wonder about it. My hair is getting very thin but I have started dying it too. I think in a few years I might be a bald headed woman. Do you know this song? 

Have you ever ever ever in you bald headed life

Seen a bald headed sailor with a bald headed wife?

No I've never never never in my bald headed life

Seen a bald headed sailor with a bald headed wife.

LOL

?This is one of those songs like 99 bottles of beer on the wall, it just goes on and on.

?I used to wish that I was bald headed because the wind blows here all the time and blows it in my face. I may just get my wish. 

Also here is a little story about hair loss:

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. “Well,” she said, “I think I’ll braid my hair today.” So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. “H-M-M, ” she said, “I think I’ll part my hair down the middle today.” So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. “Well,” she said, “Today I’m going to wear my hair in a pony tail.” So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn’t a single hair on her head….

“YEAH!” she exclaimed, “I don’t have to fix my hair today!”

• Posted

thanks for that /  we can all use a good laugh now and then  : )

Gloria

• Posted

Hi river,

You made my day! Thanks for the laugh. I will try to see my situation like the woman with the 3 strands of hair. Its funny how the docs don't tell you about the side affects. It would avoid people calling them at all times of day and making all kinds of unnecessary follow ups. By the way, you must ve a kick in person. Keep up the good spirits. God bless.

• Posted

Hi rozanne,

Went to my Rheumotologist today and mentioned the hair loss subject. He said the Methotrexate may cause hair loss so he increased my dosage of my daily folic acid from 1 tablet to 2. He also said i should give biotin a try. If i continue to lose hair he said he may switch me to a different medication. Im honestly ok with the meds im on so long as i feel improvement, which I haven't been on it long enough. What i'm trying to say is that it may be the benepali and you should probably discuss it with your physcian. Bestof luck.

God bless

• Posted

Hi 

my wife has had nasty side effects with this drug too. 

Hair loss , Sleeplessness, Confusing thoughts etc .

Oh it’s not Benepali we were told . Stopped 6 weeks ago and improved a lot .

hope your problem is addressed sooner that hers 

• Posted

Hi 

My wife has been in Benipali for about 7 months . Made her life so much better until recently. When the her loss started. Wash her hair the plug hole fills with hair/ brush full of hair/ even the dog is walking round with her hair on it. 

“Never heard of that before “ Is all the RA nurse can say. 

So stopped it 6 weeks ago hair loss much reduced almost stopped. But the RA is back with avengance . 

Caffeine shampoo helps but at the end of the day hair loss or pain or pushing for a new treatment. My wife had hair loss in the past due to cancer so won’t put up with it again. 

We are still having to push for a change in meds. 

Hope you find a solution that works for you. 

• Posted

Dear Rozanne - I have just started Benepali and had 6 injections. About one third of my hair has fallen out and the rest is like candy floss. I contacted the Rheumatology dept and they said this is not a side effect - but many, many people on forums discuss biologics and hair loss. Did you stick to Benepali? Has the hair loss stopped?  I am worried I will have no hair left......

• Posted

Dear Carrie & Rozanne,

did the hair loss resolve?

did you find hair on anywhere else on the body was affected?

My hair has become very dry and brittle. It is also quite itchy on my scalp.

I also could swear i have lost the odd eyebrow/eyelash hair.

just wondered if it has stopped for you both and how long it took.

my rheum is being much help.

thank you!

• Posted

Hiya 

now on Humira . So so much better on all fronts .

read Warning Sheets on Benepali . Google everything.

They DO know . It’s a Cost thing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.