Hair loss and both control?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My daughter is 19 -and has been experiencing hair loss for 6 months. She went through a very bad break up and got mono all within 3 months time. Her ferrtin level is an only 18 and it was 7 in the past. I'm womdering oif its's the ferrtin levels, birth control pills she's been on or thr mono. Has anyone experienced hair loss from birth control pills or or mono? It's been so upsetting foe me to see her go through this...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

First of all, what kind of hair loss is your daughter experiencing? Has she been seen by a dermatologist? Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease and typically the hair loss starts as round bald spots. If it's not alopecia then yes, it could be from all of the above you have mentioned if she is just experiencing thinning hair. Stress, hormones, and low iron stores can all cause hair issues. Is she taking an iron supplement? Women should have a ferritin level of around 100. I too have a low ferritin level of about an 8, I have alopecia universalis (total hair loss) and when I was taking regular iron my ferritin started going up and I did start seeing hair growth (eyelashes/eyebrows) that I hadn't had in many years. However, iron also can make your cholesterol go up. This shouldn't be a big problem for a girl your daughter's age though. I would talk to the doctor about taking supplements or having some iron infusions so they can monitor her. She should also learn to manage stress a little better if possible, maybe show her some meditation websites? As far bcp's, look to see if hair loss is a side effect? If her hair loss started when she went on the pill, maybe there is a different form of birth control she could try?

If your daughter's hair loss is alopecia, I would still try the iron supplements. I had alopecia areata as a young girl, when I was 16 I got very ill with mono and ended up in the hospital for a week. This is what triggered complete hair loss for me. And since then I've had trouble with bouts of reactivated EBV in times of high stress. This being said, it doesn't mean that your daughter will lose all of her hair. I don't want to scare you. Like I said, I had alopecia spots off and on since being a young girl.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.