Hair loss and scalp inflammation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have sjogrens as diagnosed by anti-ro (ssa) antibodies. I started having hair loss at the time I was diagnosed but my doctors seem a bit perplexed about whether it is related to Sjogren's, it has been falling out for 3 years-diffuse loss not patchy. I don't have lupus but I know they are related and lupus tends to have hair loss. My question is: have you had hair loss or scalp inflammation(folliculitis), do your doctors think it is related and how have you treated it? Ad background, I don't have hormonal hair loss, I have had a biopsy which wasn't helpful. I took plaquenil for over a year and did not help the hair. The only thing that helps is antibiotic solution somewhat and not steroids. I also lost part of my eyebrow recently. Thanks for your comments!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Exactly what happens to me. Is your hair grew back?
    • Posted

Hi Lia. Thanks for your comment. My hair has not grown back. I still have a fair amount of hair but maybe 1/2 as much as I did. It is not patchy just all over loss so I am thankful for that.
  • Posted

Hi Gretchen, I'm assuming you've been checked for thyroid function. Autoimmune diseases often attack the thyroid gland. I lost my eyebrows almost completely over a period of a couple of years - starting at the outside edge and gradually moving in. I was also losing a lot of hair. My doctor finally diagnosed a minor loss of thyroid function and put me on thyroxine. This has stopped the abnormal hair loss completely, but neither the lost hair nor my eyebrows ever grew back of course.

• Posted

That is a very good point Lily. You should have your Thyroid checked if you have not already. There are many medical reasons for hair loss unfortunately.
    • Posted

Hi Lily,

I have had extensive thyroid testing -but you raise a good point. so far everything has been normal. I had lots of tests done generally and the only thing that has been abnormal has been the SSA so I think it is probably the Sjogren's but I will have thyroid done at my next physical to be sure. Thanks for your comment!

• Posted

Unfortunately, under-active thyroid isn't the only reason for hair loss but I agree - best to get it tested at least once a year if you have an autoimmune condition. The thyroid seems to be one of the organs that's most vulnerable to a rogue immune system. I hope you can find a solution.

• Posted

I have Sjogrens and lost all of my hair two years ago. Don't worry. It is now back and thick as ever. My eyebrows fell out and they have never returned. I wear long bangs and don't have to worry about plucking eek.

I was told that it was a combination of the inflammation and stress from being ill. I shaved my head and did a "start over". Actually a stylist shaved my head.  I improved my nutrition and I now take 5000mg of Biotin daily for hair and nails. Moisture is important and I did stop any coloring etc for 18 months. Happy to say I am now back to my full, colorful head of hair.

• Posted

Thanks Cowgirl. I may get microblading done to fill in my brows because they still have not come back. Hair may not grow back as it'S been nearly 3 years but working on my nutrition. Thanks for your pointers and sharing your story!

• Posted

My hair started falling out.  My Rheumatologist said to me it may be the Sjogrens or one of the prescription meds I was on for dry mouth.  I stopped taking that med and also purchased Kernanique for the hair.  I also got myself a cute shorter hair cut and that all seems to work.  Now I take a shower and no fist full of hair in the drain.  Keranique has that Minoxidil in it for hair loss and patchy scalp.  I love it.  It's pricey but worth it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.