Hair loss and Topiramate the cause..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya folks...I used to be on Topiramate 50mg twice daily to help with migraines..tho had to come off it with the terrible side effects I had from this medication..pins n needles in hands,feet and my face..foggy brain..confusion..forgetting words..hair falling out..crying..my depression got worse...i am now off this for 5 months and the hair loss still goes on..there is a huge loss on a daily basis at this rate i will probably be bald very soon in addition to this my hair matt's at the ends of my hair and is very dry...is there anyone out there that can give me a bit of advice please...thanx Sarah

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello sarabash, I had some of the side effects too. I did not stop taking Topomax all together just lowered my dosage until it works for me. Most of the side effects are gone. Occasionally I can't recall a word but my Migraines are far and few between. As far as the hair loss goes I definitely recommend Rogaine. I am not kidding. The women's foam formula. You use it once daily it will take months to really come back. I have been using it now for 1 1/2 years. it took about 4 months to see some tiny hairs sprouting. My hair dresser was amazed. I know it is not inexpensive but it will make you so much happier.  My hair was thin and losing more each day. I was so unhappy. It is now Thick and has new life.

Good Luck

Redkohn

• Posted

I take 10,000 biotin, magnesium and a multivitamin. I also use shampoo with biotin in it. It takes awhile for this to work - my hairdresser said after 2 months she saw little hairs coming in. I lost a 1/3 of my hair but I’m still on it. sad good luck ! Do some research but it depleted your body of vitamins so it might take a bit to get them back up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.