Hair loss/ bald patches

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there im 17, and experiencing hair loss and bald patches i naturally have quite thick hair so to be losing so much so quickly has been a shock i do have bleached hair but have not bleached in a good four months and this has started within the last few weeks having chunks fall out, i do have low folate so i am taking folic acid everyday but i thought this maybe have helped by now (ive been using it for around two month) i have lost a lot of weight recently from being poorly and have been super stressed but have just now started to put on weight again, has anybody else experienced this or not what i can do to stop it or what it looks like.image

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It’s not uncommon for teenage girls to lose hair. There are many causes that can result in hair loss. Poor nutrition is one of the causes. Taking folic acid everyday checks one of the nutrition requirement boxes. Are you getting enough iron, vitamin B12 and D, riboflavin and biotin? Get a liver function test done and consult a dietitian.

Another reason for hair loss in teenagers is psychological – stress, anxiety, fear, negative emotions and depression. The next cause is hormonal imbalance. Both these causes are interrelated (to an extent).

Lastly, medicines, including birth control pills, and overuse of styling products can result in hair loss

Controlling these causes will reduce hair loss. And, do not worry, most teenagers who face hair loss, have reported hair re-growth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.