Hair loss because of menopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else had hair shedding because of menopause? I had a surgical menopause because of a massive ovarian cyst. They took out both my ovaries but left my womb. I have had hair shedding since then. I'm on low dose hrt now. Has anyone had hrt for hairloss and did it help? I'm 48. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I also suffer with hair loss as a symptom of the menopause I have lost so much hair I have found it very upsetting my once thick hair is now so thin I'm thinking about getting a topper, I started my HRT a year ago and it stopped falling out within the first couple of months it hasn't gone back to its original thickness but it isn't falling out anymore it was the only thing that helped and I tried many things I'm 45 and have been in meno for the last 4 years, hopefully you will see a stop to this soon it does take a couple of months to get into your system 

• Posted

Hi kazzaxs

Hopefully mine will stop coming out too now I'm having the hrt. From what I've been reading the hairloss is very common with the menopause and very upsetting. It's really hard to get information on it and how it can be treated. It's like it's only briefly mentioned on articles about menopause,but it is really important to us women. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

I am 48 as well, I am perimenopause and my hair is all over the place, it doesn't shed in clumps but I am noticing more hair in the brush, on my side of the bed and in my shower drain, so I know it's coming out.

• Posted

Hi mamaw08

It's really upsetting losing our hair, and there doesn't seem to be much information about it in menopause articles. Or what can be done to prevent it happening. thank you for your reply

• Posted

Hello, to all the ladies losing hair, there is hope for hair loss or thinning. You can take something called Biotin. It's an OTC vitamin. It's to promote hair and nails growth naturally since it's something we tend to lack as we age. I had to stop taking it because my hair was growing about an inch every month. It takes about a month for it to start working but it does work. My mom had gone bald after 60 days bedridden, the doctor suggested Biotin and all her hair grew back within a few months. So naturally when I went into Perimenopause and having issues with my nails, I decided to take it.  Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.