Hair loss / brittle hair devastating. Low ferritin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have lost 50% of my hair in the last three years through shedding. In the last 18 months the condition has changed drastically too, brittle, straw like dry and breaking. I had bloods 3 years ago that said ferritin 48. Pushed again recently and now 19. dr thinks no iron issue. I'm tempted to just start taking my own but know the need to be careful with iron. feeling desperate and trying to slow down or stop whatever is happening. I saw a private dr 2 years ago and he said chronic TE, but just tan fingers through my hair and no tests. Any help or advice would be greatly received x thank you (I'm in my late 30's)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate,

It's not possible to perform a diagnosis this way. Instead I'll share some insights from the scientific literature so you can see what might be helpful for your situation.

Androgenetic Alopecia

Main cause: DHT

Solutions: Finasteride and Dutasteride.

What you need to know: Both medicine are contraindicated in women. Only prescribed off-label.

Telogen effluvium

Main cause: pregancy, trauma, medication such as anticoagulants

Solutions: normally, if you get rid of the "stressor", TE will resolve on its own. Usually within 3-6 months.

What you need to know: In many cases the cause of TE is unknown. Below findings from a scientific review.

Studies show that supplementing the diet with low levels of vitamin D can improve symptoms of these diseases.

Iron supplementation is recommended when levels are insufficient. These iron-deficient patients should also ensure their vitamin C intake is appropriate. At the present time there is insufficient data to recommend zinc, riboflavin, folic acid, or vitamin B12 supplementation in cases of deficiency. Neither vitamin E or biotin supplementation are supported by the literature for treating AGA or TE.

You can also try a minoxidil solution. It does not stop hair loss, but it does help in slow down the progression of hair loss due to increase blood flow and nutrient uptake.

I will update this update in 1 week with more info.

• Posted

The ferritin level, although borderline, is above the minimum for women. If chronic telogen effluvium is the diagnosed cause, then five per cent topical minoxidil with 50 mg of cyproterone acetate is known to treat the condition. (Don’t take this as medical advice.) The good news however is that if the underlying cause is dealt with, chronic TE usually reverses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.