Hair loss due to Amlodipine

Posted , 35 users are following.

I had been on Amlodipine 5mg for some years,during this time I had begun to notice my hair thinning and becmoing fine and lifeless.After regular checks earlier this year my b/p was unacceptably high consistently and the dose was increased to 10mg.My b/p was still not within normal limits after 4-6 weeks and I was prescribed in addition 5mg Ramiprimil..it was then that I started to notice a drastic increase in HAIR LOSS (I have read on the leaflet inside my medication that it's a possible side effect).I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience,as I would like to change to a medication that doesn't have this devastating side effect!

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So my Dr. said after I shared that I've noticed hair loss since starting Cartia nearly a year ago, another calcium blocker, "Yeah, that can happen." When I pressed her to change my med, despite having a bottom number below 100, yep, I said 100, for the first time ever - nothing had been working, she switched tones, became almost defensive insisting the hair loss was most likely due to age. WHAT THE HECK! Like some of you, I began to see handfuls of hair in the drain. I was afraid to wash my hair. My comb became my worst enemy. I had always had a massive amount of hair. My stylists had made comments such as I should start charging extra... and my goodness, you've got a lot of hair. Now I get, Joan, you are losing a lot of hair.

My doctor did agreed to switch my med... To guess what? Yep! Amlodpine 10 mg. Sneaky B word. That is stopping today! There has to be another way to get my BP down Bald is not an option. And yes! I am that vain! Joan is not joining the hair club for men or resorting to Rogain for Women! Argh!

• Posted

I have been on Amlodopine for about 7 years and have experienced quite a bit of hair loss too.  I am 73 and previously have been on Calcium Channel Blockers and other types of BP drugs and had no hair loss but did have loss of libido.  So, don't want that side effect either.  My doctor says hair loss is not from Amlodopine, but I don't think he is correct.  After stopping taking this durg has anyone's hair grown back?  On the top and back of my head the hair is really thin with scalp showing.  I always had very fine hair but a lot of it, and my mom lived to 95 and never went bald like this.  The doctor just wants to say it is old age, even my dermatologist says that.

• Posted

Hi, Victoria,

I stopped taking the drug 3 months ago, and I am very happy to report that the hair loss has recently slowed considerably. Still seeing more than I like in my comb, but I don't see that mass in the drain anymore. My biggest complaint, if you want to call it that, is now I have a bad case of the fuzzies. That is, there is a lot of new growth - so much so, that I have to spray my hair to control all the short hairs standing up all over my head. Ha!

I am now using Benicar. That in combination with a gluten-free diet (which has resulted in the loss of 70 pounds since Feb, 2016), I have bottom numbers in the 70s. Whoop! Who knows, if I add in some exercise, I may be able to drop the Benicar, too. Joan

• Posted

Yes yvonne, I have been on amlodipine for 2.5 years and the hair loss has accelerated in the last year. I had to see a cardiologist for another problem so my bp med has been switched to something else (Procardia 60mg ER) Don't know yet if this med will cause more to fall out but am praying it does not. I am changing my diet and my lifestyle and hoping for the best.. Warm regards, anne

• Posted

Hi Yvonne I too took this drug for 4 years it did the job for its intent but I suffered hair loss and eventually bad ankle swelling i am 55 and noticed my memory was really bad. i stopped taking the amilodipine after reading it was banned in some countries and all the bad reviews which seemed to conclude hair loss was a side effect. Within a month my hair was growing back I had to go on another medication for the swelling which also went away and my memory came back very noticeably much much better, so I can only conclude it was the amilodipine although my doctor did not think that it was the cause but she changed my meds immediately. So far so good so I would advise anyone experiencing problems on amilodipine to see their GP there are other alternatives and women of any age don't want to loose their hair if it can be helped. All these comments about bad side effects from amilodipine are coming fast and furious so we can't all be wrong hope everyone gets sorted medically with another kinder drug regards Debbbie

• Posted

Just come off them today!! My hair has fallen out so badly and I also started to suffer from memory loss, I was only taking Amlopodine for 4 months! So angry doctors are prescribing this poison! Kate
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne, I started taking Amlopodine 5mg in October and gradually over the last 2 months my hair has started falling out, now it is so bad I phoned my GP this morning and he told me to stop taking the Amlopodine IMMEDIATELY!! I am so upset and just hope and pray my hair returns to how it was, thick, shiny and healthy! 
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne yes I am on amlodipine as well and my hair is thinning something bad and it's brutal and it's causing myself with things to drop I'm on propanolol and Losartin as well

• Posted

I too was expert hair loss. Then a hair loss professional asked if I were taking any BP meds, I said yes; she told me to check because the meds could be causing the loss. Well I have been talking Amlodipine for several years. I am going to ask my doctor for a different medication. 
    • Posted

Hi Babsey, this hair thinning especially at the front of my hairline got pretty bad with amilodipine I stopped taking them Slowly and in a month my hair was sprouting back. Unfortunately my blood pressure was starting to rise again and I got the headaches which took me to the doctor in the firs,t place. My GP then gave me indapamide 2.5mg as I also had swelling ankles which I have never suffered with before. They took my blood pressure right down to my normal younger days. I am 56 now and been on the meds about 5 or 6 years. Thought it was all good but since being on these for about 8 months now I have noticed a weight gain and also,ot perspiring and also quite breathless and my hair is thinning again but not too bad at the moment. My daughter was prescribed a blood pressure medication for something to do with her migraines and in a week of taking it her hair was half the thickness it was awful for her she went back to the doctors and the GP said she had not heard of this side effect which I find hard to believe. The proof was there for her to see, so I know all these people with thinning hair can't just be coincidence.  I have also truednfkaxseed oil and foods to lower the blood pressure so that maybe I can get off the offending drugs but my blood pressure stays around the same mark.  Hope you get your meds changed to something more suitable I am going to go through this with my GP bald is not an option for a lady and I don't think that's vanity I have always had thick long hair which I have looked after and cared for even tho it is grey now age doesn't do us many favours my hairs the best thing I have now lol kind regards Debbie

• Posted

I take a herbal supplement called Hawthorn and it lowers my pressure.

I know Coleus forskohlii (a mint) is good for lowering pressure as well. It even lower the pressure on my eyes. Of course, the doctor knows best... My boyfriend gets diarrhea if he takes those supplements. It works great for me.

• Posted

Yes, I started amlodipine about a year ago and have noticed hair loss. I am sure it it this medication and will stop taking it with the advice of my doctor.

• Posted

Glad to Amlodipine is more than likely why my hair went from shoulder length to. Maybe 3in in some areas and some areas still shoulder length. I've been taking Calcium, Omega 3 and Vitafusions Gorgeous Skin and Hair and Nails. I'll be asking my Dr. if this is truly a side effect and to switch my bp med asap.

• Posted

Wow this discussion is amazing! I am 45 yrs old been taking Amlodipine for almost 3 yrs now and my hair is falling out really bad! I told my hair stylist and that's the 1st thing she asked was if I was taking bp meds! That is what made me do some research and I found this discussion! That is crazy!!! I'm stopping this med immediately and calling my dr bc we can't all be wrong. My hair is coming out in thick wads!!! I hope it grows back too bc I have lost so much hair in the last 1yr and a half! Thanks for the the input here in this discussion...I am shocked to know this about this drug! God bless each and every one of you!

• Posted

I was given Amlodipine 5mg two tablets daily in 2017 while in the hospital and a prescription upon release. I noticed my hair thinning in the top too. After taking them for a couple of days, I read the side effects and it said causes alopecia. I immediately stop taking it and notified my doctor. I also went to a dermatologist that said that's what it looked like to her. Unfortunately, she left the hospital before my scheduled appointment to test me for that. My hair has shown no signs of growing back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.