Hair loss due to medication?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I’ve need suffering from severe hair loss for the past 2 months and it’s likely due to the beta blockers I’ve been taking. 

I have now stopped the tablets (with doctors advice) and would like to know when can I expect my hair to stop shedding excessively? I haven’t taken the drug for 2 weeks but haven’t noticed any improvement. 

The amount of hair falling out every time I wash it makes me cry sad 

I will be grateful for any advice. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I have the same problem but hadn't considered beta blockers. My hair comes out in handfuls every time I wash it and it's very upsetting. My blood tests are good, my thyroid is good, my diet and exercise regimes are good so I am at a loss to know what else may be causing it. Personally I wonder if stress also plays a part as at the moment the stress in my life is monumental! It would be good to hear other members thoughts on this.

• Posted

Hi Gwen,

Yes, stress is one of the main reasons for hair loss and unfortunately the fact that you worry about it on top of all your other worries does not help, does it? 

I read meditation and yoga help but I personally wouldn’t know where to start ...

I washed my hair yesterday, was ever so gentle yet plenty came out, I counted just the first few handfuls and stopped when got to 100 sad 

I have to say for years I suffered with horrible skin condition rosacea which has only just improved, now the hair loss has made me really down again sad 

Hope you coping with it somehow! 

• Posted

Hi Alex. My comment on your post comes a little late. How is your condition? Any improvements?

I have some tips and suggestions which I hope would help. You should drink a lot of water to cleanse your system from any effects of the medication you were on.

I would suggest you boost your biotin intake as this is an amazing solution to improve hair strength. What you can do is to eat more bananas, eggs and milk. Natural, easy to find sources of vitamin H also known as biotin. I personally did these and also started taking biotin H supplements from producers I knew were 100% natural. The results were all positive for me and anyone I know who had hair loss problems. I hope it helps

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I have read your reply to Alex and agree with your advice. I am taking Biotin supplements and eat plenty of eggs and bananas. My hair loss has slowed a little but for me, I think it has a lot to do with the stress in my life. I'm in the process of addressing that at the moment, so hopefully in a few months I will see a positive difference.

• Posted

Gwen,

am real sorry to hear that and hope you get better. Just try to catch on more sleep. It will help with the stress.

And I guess what I wrote for Alex, could also be useful for you.

Good luck 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.