Hair loss during perimenopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not your hair gets better once you're out the other side ?  Mine has thinned quite a bit and I seem to loose quite a lot when I wash it ?  I'm really hoping that this isn't permanent.  Anyone else had a similar experience ?

Many Thanks

Debbie

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie I loose quite a lot of mine when I wash it, but lookly for me my hair is really thick, but like you hoping it stops eventually x
    • Posted

Hi Karen

Thanks for your reply. You are lucky you have thick hair, mine is thin anyway. Do you take any supplements at all ?

Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, 

This issue with hair is really a problem fir many women.  One thing that I can tell you is my hair is dramatically effected by hormones, both good and bad. The same thing with my nails.  

Many experts believe that our hair is fueled by estrogen. That you will have fuller thicker hair with replacement.  But for me it's a combination of both estrogen and progesterone.  I can see and feel a very profound difference.

Wish I could answer your question about whether the hair loss and thinning will stop or slow down, but that is apparently different for every woman.  For some the answer is yes, it's better.  And then there are women who are bald after menopause.  My sister is, she wears a wig full time. 

• Posted

Hi Gailannie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry about your Sister. That's filled me with dread and fear, I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me.

Debbie x

• Posted

Take Biotin, for your hair, nails and skin. Biotin will replenish your hair, grow it back and thicken it if it's thinning out. This is what we, in the medical field ,suggest to women who complain about losing hair. It will take about a month before your hair will grow back but it will stop it after about 2 weeks from it falling out. I've been taking it because my nails were getting brittle and it seems to have stopped it and it's making my hair grow faster, which I don't want because I get tired of dying my hair every 2 weeks! But I tell you it really works. 

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I started taking Biotin at the end of February, so that's about 4 months so far, I do have new hairs all over but still seem to loose quite a bit. Think I'm obsessing a bit perhaps ? Is there a particular one you might recommend or ideal dosage ? I'm taking it in a liquid form.

Love Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, 

Sorry about this but they blocked my post for mentioning brand names which I completely forgot is not allowed here. 

As for the Biotin, you need 2.5mg or 2,500 mcg. You may also need zinc to help absorb it. 

I also mentioned that conditioner's can make your hair fall. You shouldn't lose more than say 10-20 hairs after conditioning if you do then you need to get rid of it, since it means you're conditioner will contain too many salt chemicals causing the fallout which isn't good for your scalp because you'll lose more hair after combing it or brushing it. 

Anyhow, I'm not seeing the pm button to send you a private message. So please send me one if you want more information on this topic. 

Luv, x

Sochima 

• Posted

Hi Sochima,

Thank you again for replying. I checked my Biotin, it's actually 10mg ? Could that be too much. One of my other supplements contains zinc so that's good. I also can't see the PM button but I can give you my e mail perhaps ? Would love to know more if posssibe.

Debbie x

• Posted

I found the pm button, it's right below your name with the star. I'll send you a message now. 

• Posted

Hi again,

I sent you a PM back yesterday. I hope you got it. xx

• Posted

Hi Sochima,

I sent you a PM back yesterday, I hope you got it ?

Debbie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.