hair loss - feeling very frightened

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone,

I'm currently in a mental health ward for severe anxiety and depression. I'm now losing my hair and it's got me in a terrible state. I can't calm myself down. every time I see more and more hair coming out it's like my brain cant handle it and goes in to overdrive. I'm so frightened. I just thought I'd send a message on here to try and get some support. I've bought myself a beanie hat so that I can cover up the hair loss while I'm on the ward xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry you are going through this 😦

I don't know exactly what to advise you, but I would like to wish you strength to get through this phase.

If your hair loss is due to your current condition, you need to treat the source of the problem.

Therapy with a psychologist is very important at this moment, so don't abandon it.

You can also try to make small improvements in your routine to alleviate hair loss such as taking a vitamin supplement (after consulting your doctor), eating a more nutritious diet, and trying to get more sleep.

You will make it!

• Edited

It helps if you state your gender. It may seem insignificant but in males, hair loss can fairly easily be treated.

In males, hair loss is often caused by genetics - susceptibility of your hair follicles towards the male androgen DHT (dihydrotestosterone). In such cases, a treatment with finasteride will stop hair loss completely in 83% males.

You state your hair loss is caused by stress. Well, the good news about that is that it requires no special treatment and hair loss is only temporary. Hair density is usually restored within 3-6 months. Supplementing with Vitamin D is recommended.

• Posted

Have you recovered from the anxiety and depression? Did your hair grow back? Sorry to hear about the health scare you had to face. Hope you are good.

• Posted

Alec Baldwin suffered and is still suffering from alopecia, since his childhood. Alec Baldwin received a hair transplant in his early twenties. 

• Posted

For hair growth, it is recommended to take Biotin (vitamin B7) for 3 months. Read about it online. I myself chose such an additive based on reviews, I took 10 mg

• Posted

Experiencing hair loss can indeed be a distressing and frightening experience for many people. It is essential to acknowledge these feelings and emotions and understand that you are not alone in your concerns. Hair loss can have a significant impact on one's self-esteem, body image, and overall well-being. If you are feeling frightened or overwhelmed by your hair loss, consider the following steps:

Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you haven't already, reach out to a dermatologist or a healthcare professional specializing in hair loss. They can help determine the underlying cause of your hair loss and recommend appropriate treatments or lifestyle changes.

Seek Support: Talk to friends, family members, or support groups about your feelings. Sharing your concerns with others who may have experienced similar situations can be comforting and reassuring.

Participate on a Medical Trial: Have you heard of Centrial.org is a cutting-edge online hub that connects patients like you with relevant clinical trials in your area. We understand the importance of finding trials specific to your condition, and we are dedicated to making this process both hassle-free and accessible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.