Hair Loss: Hypo or Hyper and on Levo or NDT?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if their hair loss or hair thinning began when they were hypothyridic or if they were hyperthyridic, also, was that with Levo or NDT? Was it transitional and if so, what caused it to stop?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello LAH,

My hair loss started before I was officially diagnosed in 1987.  I can remember it in 1986.  Also my eyebrow hair thinned and never came back to where it was.  Since I was not converting T4, it  did not help.  I guess it was when I went onto NDT and then it grew in again.  I swear it makes my hair grow faster than 1/4 inch per month.  Now I am on T3 only and I maintained hair growth.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly, I am so happy healthwise with my NDT but I am having hair loss. I want to increase my dose (because I get sleepy in the afternoon) but the Endo wants to decrease my dose (because - you guessed it - my TSH is very low). I would hate to increase it and lose more hair while if I "do as I am told", decrease the dose, my hair grows back.
    • Posted

Hello LAH:

That is good if your TSH is not too low, so can you find a compromise dose? You can cut the pill and make up a better dose for you.  How much are you on?  Is your T3 okay?

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly. I was on 1 1/4 grains, my T4 was at the bottom of the scale, .8ng/dL  (.8 - 1.8)ng/dL and my T3 was 2.9 pg/mL (2.3 -4.2pg/mL) - although don't forget that I didn't take any NDT before my blood test so this T3 is probably my residual.

For these reasons I bumped my dose to 1 1/2 grains (haven't told the Endo yet, he wants to lower it down to 1 grain! I told him, "NO WAY JOSE".

But for all of this, my hair is thinning terribly.

• Posted

Hi LAHs, have you been tested for anaemia? To do so you'll need a full blood count and ferritin checked. Shelley is the anything else?
    • Posted

Hi Barbara:

That is also a good idead LAH needs her full blood count and ferritin checked. Along with her thyroid levels.  If possible a blood cortisol level, just to make sure the adrenals are okay.

XO Shelly

• Posted

Thanks barbara, yes I must get Ferritin checked. I have been trying to upstage this issue by eating red meat twice a week but, yes, I do not know if it is having any affect. My lower eyelids are not bright red nor pale pink so at a first approximation I guess it is not too bad.
    • Posted

Hi LAHs, my recent experience might be relevant here. I was on a dose of 750mg of an NDT (this one is measured differently, i think 1 grain is equivalent to 300mg) and blood tests were all fine. I didn't change my diet - which involves eating roast chicken, cabbage, kale, broccoli and carrots twice a day because my diet is severely restricted due to allergies and intolerances. All blood tests came back fine (iron saturation = 46%). I dropped my NDT dose down to 600mg and my iron saturation plummeted to 17%. GP recomended I take an Iron tablet a day. I have increased my NDT dose back to 750mg and have a blood test next week. It'll be interesting to see what the results are. The relevant point is that if one's thyroid hormone dose is too low, iron levels can be wrong irrespective of how good one's diet is.
    • Posted

Hi Barabara,

I am not sure which NDT you are on nor if you are in the U.S.or the U.K. but, in the US 1 grain of Armour is the equivalent of 60mg of NDT and has the approximate potency of 100 mcg Levo, Synthroid etc.

• Posted

Hi LAHs, That must hold the record for the quickest reply ever! Thanks for the info. I'm in UK. I'm on ThyroGold.
  • Posted

I don't have much to add, since I am new to this (just started levo a few days ago) and  I did not experience hair loss as a result of my hypothyroidism....however, I foudn it interesting that the thyroid hormones that Shelly is taking is making her hair grow faster, because my hair grows sooooo slow...like, i swear it has been the same length for 6 months. If I didn't see my grey roots, I wold swear it didn't grow at all! I wonder if it will start to grow faster now...
    • Posted

Hi rhw, thanks for your input. You probably know this but your hair can break off at the ends at the same rate it is growing! Mine does that, and I agree, if my natural dish water blonde wasn't growing through I too would be of the opinion that it wasn't growing at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.