Hair loss is getting bad. Is this a common experience with RA?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted a couple of weeks back about the swelling hands, ankles, and pain I've been in. I've been dealing with for the last two months. Primary care doctor has eliminated things like Thyroid, Diabetes, and Potassium. He is pretty confident that I have RA, and I will be seeing a Rheumatologist next week for testing. I have always had very thick hair, and for the last few weeks it is falling out daily by handfuls. My hair is half the thickness that it was, and I'm heartbroken over it. I'm scared in the next few weeks that my hair is just going to be almost gone. I'm not on any medications that could cause this, and have read that it is common with RA. Has anyone else dealt with this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Im sorry to here about your condition and pray your next visit to doctor will give you some answers. Lupus takes my hair out and causes pain. I use alovera om my scalp once a week, I leave it in for 2hours and wash with condition shampoo and my hair is growing back now. I also have RA pain, stiff joints, extreme fatigue, memory brain fog. You could ask rheumatologist to test you for lupus.

• Posted

100% Alovera jell from walmart or pharmacy.
  • Posted

Hi Becky

Sorry to say that I have also experienced hair loss since diagnosis.   I have fine hair to start with and no body at all to it so loss of hair makes it look awful no matter what I try.   Methotrexate drug causes hair loss as does another drug I was on but i am off both those and on Cimzia--biologic.   I believe now that it is actually the RA causing the problem.  My hair does not fall out in handfuls but every time I run a comb or brush thru it lots of hair on those.   I hate the idea of a wig but I am starting to think I am going to have to go  to that.    I don't like it but I am happy the medication is working to reduce pain and inflammation so I think the hair loss is something I have to live with 

• Posted

Hi Becky, I am elderly and use to have nice thick hair but becoming retired it got thinner. But I do think that RA just makes it worse. I am on MTX and of course that didn't help so I started taking Biotin. I started with one pill, waited about a month and did not notice any difference, so I added another pill and after about a couple of months there was improvement. Now my hair is alittle thicker but extremely dry and so it does break off because the strands are so thin.  Right now though I seem to be losing A little more hair and I am wondering if the Oriencia is the culprit. I started Oriencia about 8 months ago. The Biotin did help, look it up on the net. It does take awhile to see any change.  Take care, Jo

• Posted

Hi Becky

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're dealing with, and know that the tests you'll be having next week will give you some answers, and hopefully swiftly get things back under control.

I just want to share a little of my story, which might offer you some light:

After being diagnosed with RA last August (2016), I researched everything I could, and in doing so, found the scientifically proven link between RA (& all auto-immune diseases) and diet and lifestyle. Few in the mainstream medical profession will discuss this. 

Since starting on a proven programme to eliminate pain and inflammation, I'm enjoying normality once again. My aim is to eventually get of MXT, having got my inflammatory markers back to normal. So many people on this programme have become the controllers of their auto-immune disease and regained control of their bodies - and got off meds (this is a carefully managed process), from those newly diagnosed to those who've had RA for 25 years!

I cannot post any links to TED talks on this subject, or any other web links with loads of free info, as the moderators on this website won't allow any sharing of essential information for patients. But if you'd like to know more about the programme I'm on, send me a private msg, and I'll send you the links.

Positives and all the best to you. 

Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.