Hair loss / Lack of period / Scalp itching

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

I’m 19 years old and have a problem in relation to my hair which is really affecting my day-to-day life.

My hair has been thinning over the last few months however it has gotten really severe over the last few weeks (shedding of around 200 hairs a day). Not only that but I started having dandruff and my scalp is itchy / burning (this only happens sometimes after washing it). I have not used heat on it for months, I limit brushing it (I get disheartened after) and haven’t really put it up in months either. It looks dead and damaged, and the dandruff (not a lot albeit sometimes noticeable) makes the situation worse.

My doc did blood tests (I have no bumps/ rashes on my scalp) and found hormone levels and thyroid to be normal. I lost my period two years ago, I worked out 4 days a week and ate around 1500-1800 cals (removed dairy due to acne). Assuming there might be a connection, stopped doing it all to not strain my body and started eating more, taking biotin tablets and trying various shampoos /oils (e.g dr organic, vichy, coffeine shampoos) but it’s still thinning.

The doctor said it’s because of stress (I do struggle with anxiety so perhaps it was a factor but I do not believe it to be the cause) however prior to that the same practise also told my a lack of a period is normal for a girl my age - i’m at a loss at what to do and waiting for appointments have made this situation no better. Any advice is welcome and massively appreciated!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also! Have had some hair loss on my eyebrows and eyelashes if that links with anything!

• Posted

Hello and sorry to hear about your hair. Do you think you are eating enough? Keeping your calorie intake down can be sensible sometimes, but when you are young you do need plenty of the right food to grow healthy bones and body. I am surprised that your GP practice say that it is normal not to have a period at 19. Were you referring to a few years previous to this? I hope things improve. The small bald patch on the side of my head which is why I joined this forum is still there, but I have learned to live with it. I have found it helpful to allow my short hair to dry naturally, and comb and brush it as little as possible. Also, like you, am taking biotin. I have a granddaughter you age so naturally feel very sympathetic to your situation.

Kind regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.