Hair loss on PPI.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Does anyone here who use PPIs noticed any changes to their hair?

Loosing hair or hair growing much finer than before?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To early to tell if I'm losing hair or not, but my reflux got worse.  With all the risk we take on the long run, having issues at the biginning is not a good sign. ;-( 

• Posted

Hi. Im sorry that u have gotten worse.

It can take ages to stabilise or improve.

Hope ull pick up soon. Best wishes.

Do come back and tell us about improvements ......

• Posted

Hi Katrina yes ive had a big difference in my hair falling out going thinner my vitamin D was very lie ybsf made it worse PPI medication can give you low but D and Calcium I take a daily vitamin D3 now which PPI are you taking 
    • Posted

I have been on Lansoprazole for a while.

Omeprazole didnt help me much.

Ive had so many tests done but nothing confirms what i have.

Its been a yr now and not much improvement.

Without tablets i go even worse.

And hair on top of it?

• Posted

Hi,

So you had done an endoscope and nothing showed?  I don't want t scare you but you should check your immune system (Rheumatologist)

• Posted

Endoscope showed very mild reactive changes only.

Why checking immune system? Can u pls explain ? Thank u

• Posted

I've had to scopes done and both times I was told I just make to much acid they could see the damage it's done I'm taking the sand PPI meds as you and I think tnty only help so much I also take Zantac as well just one a day but not everyday these POI meds make your heir go thinner and bone density as well make sure your  vitamin D3 is ok and Calcium get your doctor to get blood tests done I can't take the Calcium it upsets my stomach but j have milk everyday I'm havejng big problems at the moment with acid and heartburn and some  indigestion how long  have you been on the meds 

• Posted

Hi. Thank u for replying.

My problem started just over a yr ago.

I think ive just been on them for 1yr.

I was a oerfectly healthy person.

I did smoke and had some cough which led me to stop smoking before possibly getting really ill through smoking.

I stop smoking and within a month it started.

Its something everyday.

It has chamged too to what it was initially.

I had numerous tests. Xrays, contrast chest CT, number of blood tests including allergies. Had urine and stool tested, lung function test, throat and voicebox scoped, visit visceral osteopath and endoscopy. Endoscopy said all lok normal and biopsies shows small portions of mild reactive changes.

The tablets must be helping as without them i go really ill in just 4 days.

I dont want to loose my hair. My life has been a misery. From fairly active person to a uncomfy pensioner thats how im feeling now.

Sorry that im winging. It upsets me how long its taking for nhs to refer and do what necessary. Most doctors have no time to spk to patients either.

I have a one more test lined up i think its called ph and manometry and i cant wait fir it. Im praying itll have answers.

• Posted

Katerina, PPI's do not treat the cause, just the symptoms.  Many people try to find an answer  thinking that is all the same problem, but they could be more than one issue here.

Losing hair could be a sign of Lopus which a Rheumatologist can check.   Just my opinion. ;-)

• Posted

Gillian, GI's can't measure acid from an endescope. They can tell you about reflux, but not acid.  Reflux can come from to much acid, to little acid or even normal acid (even bile).  The problem is the sprincter which is opening to much allowing reflux.  This can be created by taking some medications, stress and even food. Just about every human has reflux so the question should be what can we do to keep that valve (sprincter stronger) . So the first step is to eliminate coffee, alcohol and some foods ( I guess you already know all this) ;-)    If you have no gall-bladder, that could be the reason for reflux (bile in this case).  God bless!

• Posted

Hi there

I was wondering.....are u taking any other drugs? Example blood pressure or anything else besides xantac and the PPI.

• Posted

Hi Katerina,

Just wondering what other symptoms do you have besides the hair problem?

Kate

• Posted

Im not sure what might be from the drug and what from my condition. Im bloated, windy, chest pains .....

I litterally have most symptoms of reflux and what could be musculoskeletal on top of it.

The drug has helped abit.

I kust dont want to loose hair on topof it.

• Posted

I’ve been taking Nexium 20mg per day for the past 3 months and 1 month ago I started noticing my hair thinning all over my head. I’ve always had thick, fast growing hair, so I knew something was wrong. My GI suggested it could be a side effect of the Nexium, so I searched online and found many people experiencing this effect. I started weaning off the pills immediately and am hopeful that the hair loss will not get any worse, as I would be bald in no time if it were to continue at this rate. It is quite noticeable and uncomfortable. I’m optimistic that it will return to it’s normal thickness within a few months of stopping the Nexium, as medication induced hair loss should not be permanent. In the meantime I would like to find a way to make this side effect public and warn people of the dangers of taking PPI’s. They are not to be taken lightly, and should only be used when absolutely necessary and there are no better options. They are one of the most overprescribed and unnecessarily prescribed drug today and both patients and doctors are not educating themselves adequately of the risks of getting on this medication. Starting them before fully exploring alternate options was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made.
    • Posted

Hi there. I too have suffered a MASSIVE hair loss. Even more unfortunate as my hair was very fine, anyway. I’ve been about 2 weeks off Pantoprazole. It’s the only explanation for my hair loss. I’m so sad about it, feel unfeminine.

I took these PPI drugs from February to 2 weeks ago for peptic ulcers in my oesophagus. It should be widely and commonly known. This is a depressing side effect. Apparently the PPIs stop absorption of essential vitamins and minerals etc. How unhealthy !

From my internet delving, this has been going on for over a decade. The drugs were first marketed in 1989, so I wonder how long this has been known. There are far too many people experiencing this. I just really hope it grows back. Going to have to have patience. 

• Posted

Hi how are you feeling nowadays? Have your symptoms improved? I started on Omeprazole which did not work as well for me, and then got put on 20mg Pantoprazole. Due to covid I am still waiting for an Endoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.