Hair Loss Post Gall Bladder Surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed about 7 weeks ago. A couple of weeks ago, my hair started coming out in huge clumps. I have been losing a couple of handfuls every day. When I use my brush each day, it is full of my hair! And my clothes always have a lot of my hair on them during the day. I'm afraid to brush my hair. Each time I run my fingers through it, it comes out in huge clumps. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there anything I can do to stop it? And did it finally stop coming out? I'm so worried!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I have read that you don't process your vitimans and minerals and you need to take more and maybe use also a shampoo that does not have the nasty ingredients in get a wheat shampoo ,    my hair started falling out with a gastritis and the meds they gave me called omprezamol  ! I looked it up said hair loss I had very thick hair it did all come back after I stopped taking them when I felt better of course .so get some good vitamins and a good shampoo 👌💐

• Posted

Hi

Digesting fats becomes a major problem once the gall bladder is removed, and you will struggle to get your vitamins A,D,E,K. If your not able to absorb your essential fatty acids, this will lead to brittle hair, worst case scenario, it falls out. You need to find a really good supplement with essential fatty acids, this will stop your hair falling out. You also should take digestive enzymes as these will help you get nutrition you require from your foods, and help you digest your food better. If your choosing a supplement with essential fatty acids, don’t go for fish oils as these are loaded with mercury. You could opt for Buckthorn oil capsules (always organic). This is actually a flower, so there’s no risk of mercury. They have omega 3,6,7 and 9. You could also eat flax seeds, but make sure their organic milled, chia seeds are good as well. Always buy the seeds milled, this is easier for you to digest. 

• Posted

Thank you

it’s been  just about 2 weeks but I want to make sure I do what is needed!

• Posted

My hair was like that after I had my first surgery too. I said to my hairdresser and she said it was something to do to the anaesthetic. Eventually it calmed down though xx
  • Posted

Hi Janie, I had the same thing happen whilst I was ill and waiting for surgery. Huge clumps were coming out every time I was washing or brushing. I started taking multivit/multimineral and a vitamin D with calcium and Magnesium. My Doctor actually told me to start taking supplements every day as gallbladder probs can affect liver and in turn hormone levels. I have found things have slowly improved since op. I'm not sure if the hair loss was stress or gallbladder related but think could be a bit of both. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I lost hair after my surgery.  Went to the GP and it turned out I had a lack of iron.  So I went on iron tablets and the problem was solved.  I lost blood during my surgery so it was probably down to that.  But as everyone else is saying, the body goes through a lot with this surgery and the fact you can't eat properly etc.  All the best

• Edited

i just had that surgery too, 8 weeks ago, I have the same problem with my hair, my doctor can't figure out why, somebody told me to start drinking ensure, take vitamins and minerals, i was told

• Edited

I know this is an old post but my hair has been falling out like crazy. If I wash it or brush it's just so much hair falling out in such large amounts. It was already thin the last year with gall bladder and liver issues but it got worse after my gall bladder surgery. I'm looking into getting an appointment with a dermatologist to see if I can get more insight. Of course I want to try the natural route with supplements. I started Ox bile supplements, probiotics, milk thistle, ginger, choline, iron and vitamin D just to name a few.

I read someone saying it was iron deficiency that isn't the case for me. I have been taking iron for past 3 months now and no improvements with hair loss but it's improving my iron saturation. I also take biotin but not daily I always forget. I am hoping someone has a clue of any follow ups on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.