Hair pulling but left a bald patch, depression sign?

Posted , 4 users are following.

as it says above, i have recently started pulling our chunks of hair through stress and have created a bald patch, very visible at the front of my head. is this a depression sign and no it"s not funny, it hurts when i do it but releases the stress. should i mention it to anyone? i used to pull the back of my hair out should i do this instead. this goes along side self harm.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

the medical term for pulling out ones own hair is calledTrichotillomania, my sister did that excessively and now has a bald spot that she tries to cover up on the top back of her head. It can be caused by anxiety and stress or it can coexist with an anxiety disorder.

it is an impulse control disorder. and psychiatrists don’t consider it an anxiety condition. they consider it a separate medical condition.

I also did that to a milder degree for many years and I did it along with anxiety. I got a little counseling which helped me.

• Posted

hi jan, thank you so much, i try not to reach out to people i am worried people must think i am mad!;i only do this when i am really stressed! this now makes sense, i will mention it to my counsellor.

• Posted

Stress is solved by remembering what is important, the actions we take can lower stress levels and help us on the path to solutions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.