Hair thinking and falling

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I would like to hear from anyone who has this problem. Apart from so many other symptoms of peri and menapause does anyone had falling hair. I'm so worried that I don't know if it me stressing ( because I read stress can do this ) or it menapause. When ever I ran my fingers through my hair I always have some falling out. It's stressing me +++++.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sorry meant to say thinning
  • Posted

Check asap with a blood test at the docs that you are not anemic.  Low iron levels can do this.
  • Posted

Yes mine does this at times worse than others when I wash it loads come out its horrible 😤
  • Posted

Mine comes out loads when I wash it, makes me feel sick ! It has thinned out a lot 😥
  • Posted

Well, my doctor was concerned I was not anemic but had low platelet blood count, meaning I wasn't producing new blood fast enough, , anf my hair was falling out, at the time. She recommended I do some sort of light exercise and to build from that, so since I was a bit overweight, I started walking 10 minutes on the treadmill at first. That's all I could do at the time, then after a few days of doing 10 mins I upped it by 5 minutes until I was about to do 20 minutes. Then I discovered the elliptical machine and I was elated that it didn't make me dizzy, tired or weak but still I can only do about 20 at the most. My hair still falls out but not as much also be careful with hair moisturizers some of them cause hair to fall out excessively and with even expensive brands as well.
    • Posted

oops****was concerned I WAS anemic. Where is that edit button?
  • Posted

Hi rosedee.

I had it awful in early peri. No one said it was to do with menopause I was sent several times to dermatologist.

I lost hair also pubic and well, everywhere. All my life I sported a moustache that an adolescent boy would be proud of. I used to have to wax it 3 or 4 times a year. It completely disappeared.

I took lots of vitamins pills and potions. Herbalist and homeopathy, nothing made any difference.

About a year after my periods stopped my hair got better condition and stopped falling out.

I don't think it's getting thicker just stopped falling. The hair bands I used to put in and only manage to wrap around twice now go around 4 times.

I was lucky I had very thick hair to begin with.

Hopefully by reading this you will not stress as much as I did or be tempted to waste as much money either. I even went to see a trichologist. No one ever said it could be to do with hormones.

• Posted

Zig, did you get checked for hypopituatarism? I was a nurse in ob/gyn and as I recall your symptoms sound very much like those of this condition. Usually, happens in women who had an abortion or had to have a fetus removed. If this not the case with you, then no worries. Lucky you.
    • Posted

No patrathegreat, I have never been looked at for that. I had a late termination 20 years ago hair problems began about 10 years ago.

I didn't want to say anything before because I'm not yet certain but I do seem to have regained some hair on my lower arms since starting the HRT. I will know if it's not just wishful thinking if it does come back as I was a really hairy one before peri. I had to bleach the hairs on my arms and upper thighs because I looked manly.

I will have a read about what you have said thank you.

• Posted

Then my suspicions may be on target. Late termination would definitely be the reason for this symptom. Usually, a corticosteroid is given. Have you had memory issues, short term memory issues? It is also a precursor in women who have had lots of abortions, just saying. How is your sex drive? Nonetheless, I would get it checked out if I were you.
    • Posted

I have a better sex drive since taking testosterone (they wouldn't prescribe it so I buy it).

Before that zero sex drive. Always tired. Memory has improved quite a bit with HRT. But not really short term more just as I'm saying something I can't remember the word and it can be everyday things like a fork or h hairbrush.

About 6 weeks after the termination I ended up in mental health unit diagnosis bi polar. I wanted the termination but I was devastated by it and felt really bad about it for a long time. I got myself sterilised right after because I didn't want to ever be in that situation again.

When I first started losing hair and also felt really ill the doctor did a lot of blood tests and the only thing that showed up was b12 so I had injections for a while and I take it fairly regularly now.

• Posted

yes, hair quality and quanity both affected, its dryer than before and simply combing makes huge amounts come out ! im trying not to comb too frequently
  • Posted

Thank you everyone. No I'm not anemic. Had my thyroid function done today and I'm so scare of what the results will be. My Chinese medicine doctor gave me iodine 6 months ago to take. One of the doctors at work told me that it's no good to have it causes my thyroid to not work. I just don't know who to listen to these days.
    • Posted

Well, iodine protects the thyroid from going haywire. I take iodine to help me from getting any thyroid dysfunction. Listen to the Chinese doctor their medicine is older and way more advance than new western medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.