Hair toners and developers what can I use

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I'm Veronica and have been on antabuse for 8 weeks and still trying really really hard to stay off alcohol..

I did my hair dye just before using meds but I now need to seriously do my hair.. i use peroxide 3 & 6%, toners 9.1 and 9.2 aswell as bleach powder for roots... I'm on UK and struggling to find these products without alcohol!!!. I was thinking come off meds for 7 days to enable me to do my dye safely but family r scared I will drink... can anyone help or advise of products I can use.. I know it's a big ask but I need to feel good and seriously wont if my hair is a mess...thanks in advance.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

I do not understand the problem with hair dye? Why would hair dye cause you to start drinking again?

• Posted

I don't understand either. Do you imagine your skin would absorb the alcohol and make you want a drink? If your question is serious, perhaps chat with your Dr.

• Edited

lol hi Robin

while on antabuse u cannot use anything with perfume or alcohol as it can make u seriously I'll.... I need to dye my hair and cant find products to use as they all contain same..

• Edited

hi there

yes it's a serious question.. your skin absorbs. you cant use perfume or anything with alcohol in ingredients or it can make u I'll.. I just thought someone may know wot products I can use safely while on antabuse meds..

• Posted

A product called ADORE says it contains no alcohol. Worth a Googling?

• Edited

Me neither. Makes me wonder about hand sanitiser and mouthwashes. Hand sanitiser could stay on your skin for a while and it's used a lot these days.

I'm approaching my 75th birthday and the 'just one drink' thoughts are surfacing again. It will be 14 years since my last drink, so surely I've proved that I can handle it! The temptation never goes away. I post things like this every few months ....

• Edited

I remember you! Near your Birthday you have those thoughts "how about just one drink" and end up not having it. Next month i will be 8 years sober and do not have thoughts about having a drink. You are right in not having that one drink! It could lead to more perhaps and you may not be able to stop. Like you, i prefer not to run the risk. Keep well all of you out there who manage to stay sober. Regards Robin

• Edited

Yes, of course you are right. I've managed all those years, even when my 70th came and went. I do think of words like perhaps and may as you wrote, but I haven't taken the risk. A difficult choice, as old age is creeping up on me and I wonder sometimes why I shouldn't 'enjoy myself' in the time I've got left! Time for bed and a new day tomorrow...

• Posted

I have definitely used hand sanitizer while on antabuse with zero reaction. "To be effective at killing some types of germs, hand sanitizers need to have a strength of at least 60% alcohol and be used when hands are not visibly dirty or greasy."

Which is way more than a shot of liquor, a beer or glass of wine.

• Posted

Hello Michael

I am wondering why you are replying to a message from 3 years ago...

• Edited

In the guide line for products OK to use while taking antabuse, home hair color is ok, but warns about hair rinses could have alcohol. Basically its recommended to read all ingredients on any thing used daily while taking antabuse. Good Luck you sound very determined.

• Posted

I believe unless you digest the hair dye it won't be an issue. The sickness you get is from the liver reaction to Alcohol. Maybe you could put some of the hair dye on your forearm and let it sit for a few minutes to see if there is any reaction. I don't believe there would be. Let me know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.