Hairline fracture in femur during TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 11 days post TKR with a complication during surgery.  My dr.  accidentally caused a hairline fracture in my femur while tapping in my new knee and had to insert two permanent screws.  So, I’m on 50% weight bearing for 4 weeks. He says this won’t inhibit my recovery time but....has anyone else had this happen to them?

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi karen does ur knee lock in bent position ie when sleepinv or sitting with a bend. mine locked and couldnt move. waiti g on 5th tkr!
    • Posted

No - I haven’t experienced a locked knee.  But, it is very difficult to bend at the knee.  My pt has given me exercises but it seems slow going.   My gosh - 5 tkr?  Poor thing.  Good luck!
  • Posted

I didn't have the exact same thing but the day after my revision I was up moving as round as usual then I decided to get cleaned up and shaved. All was going well till I decided to put on a pair of under shorts. I had to stand to get them pulled up and instead of asking the nurse who was 10 ft away, I decided to do it on my own. When I pulled my self up I lost my balance and fell twisting my femur into. It was a complete break, a 20° break from knee through the bone about 6" long. They put a metal plate from hip to knee, next to the bone and held it in place with 4 screws in the knee and 4 more all the way through the bone in 2 or 3 different locations. I went to a rehab center for 3 weeks and therapy immediately. Very good recovery. I was 75/76 (had a birthday during rehab). By june I was hitting chip shots with My wedge in the backyard and the femur had healed beautifully.

• Posted

So sorry this happened to you.! Your break sounded much worse than mine!  Thank you for the encouraging words that it will get better- I appreciate the time you took to tell your story!
  • Posted

3 weeks post TKR with hairline fracture in femur during surgery.  Still on walker because of 50% weight bearing for fracture (can hardly wait to get on cane in a few more weeks!) BUT feeling so much better!  Little pain, rom is slowly coming along (hoping to be at 90 at today’s pt session). Flex is good.  Just want those of you at less than 2 weeks to hang in there.  It does get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.