Hairline fracture on foot, and just dropped a 45lb iron plate on it, intense pain!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

Can someone help, by giving me some advice? I have a friend who had just got injured while I was working out.

His foot was broken in the past, when he fell while running. He broke his foot, and has a hairline fracture on it that supposedly will never heal correctly. This happened about 8 years ago.

I just made a mistake while I was working out, I didn't rest long enough, and while taking a 45lb plate off of my curl bar, dropped it on his foot. It fell about 5 - 10 inches before hitting his foot, diagnally. No cushion under or around his feet, as they were bare. No torn skin, or real discoloration. This happened approximately 30 minutes ago.

Now that's all that happened. Here's what I'm asking:

He can't go to the hospital, because:

~He really has to go to work tomorrow, as sunday is the day during his week schedule that he makes most of his income.

~He doesn't have health insurance. It would only add a huge amount to his debt, that he can't really pay off even on his paycheck.

Can any of you tell me what first-aid or simple procedures I and he can perform to help him satisfy his pain, lower any swelling, possibly keep the foot stabilized reliably(without just putting it in a cast), and allow him to go to work tomorrow, as safely as he can without potentially damaging his foot further, and allow him to do his job?

He works as a general handyman at a sports club, so his job detailing would vary, but I probably won't be wrong in saying that it would be moderate intensity.

I hope any of you can help answer my questions. I also appreciate your advice on what to do, but please consider the fact that I said he can't go to the hospital. I know that it's highly irresponible, but he can literally become homeless if he has to go to a hospital, even if the hospital doesn't charge him(charity-based).

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to mention that he is about 25 years old right now, and that the hairline fracture was diagnosed 8 years ago.
  • Posted

Sorry for the happening and for the fact he cannot go to a hospital even charity- based situation.

For sure he cannot walk on his fractured foot.

Besides accepting a charity based treatment as he does not have health insurance I do not know what would be his first aid safe procedure.

Hope someone will reply now with the orientation you need.

Good luck.

Good  luck!

• Posted

In this meantime, please, sit down with your leg raised.

May  you  get a reply as soon as possible withb the advice you need!

• Posted

Thanks for your help iellen32,

It seems that he wasn't really injured from the plate falling on his foot. He was able to wake up and get to work without any problems.

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.