Hairstylist of 20 years having CTS Jan 25

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I"ve been a hairstylist for 20 years now. My orthopedic Dr is doing the surgery. Ive been dropping scissors, clippers, combs. I am scared to death of all the posts ive read. The EMG test said is was severe in both hands. im doing my dominant hand first.  How long would u think it would be before i could cut hair again?  Im a single mom and i cannot afford to be off long. Any answers would be so very appreciated.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Meg,

I had my bilateral Endoscopic cts Friday. I can move all my fingers fine while in my splints but lots of pain with splints off. I have to keep splints on until my follow up in a week. I can't see you doing hair for at least a week. I'll let you know how things are at 2 weeks.

Joni

• Posted

Well thank u

I hope your surgery is a success. I hope your pain eases up soon sad

Thank u

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Meg,

8 days out and I'm feeling pretty good. I think if I were a hairdresser, I could probably go back to work but being careful lifting or pulling heavy things which shouldn't be too big of a problem, should it? Of course everyone's different but I'd think a week might get you back with a few restrictions. Have you decided to do it?

• Posted

Hello ms grouch.

I can't even hold a coffee cup or even spray perfume on. I woke up this morning and my knuckles are completely numb. It's day 5. I can't see goin back to work for at least couple weeks

There's no light duty cuttin hair, and I don't wanna mess my hand up. I think my surgery went well but this numbness has me a bit concerned. I go to Dr tomorrow.

I'm so glad your surgery went well smile

Did your knuckles ever go numb??

• Posted

Yes my knuckles were numb on Sun which would've been 5 days after surgery. It scared me but went away after 1 day.

If I use my hand my thumb aches and I have no strength in my hand and arm.

I'm still keeping it wrapped. How does your hand feel?

• Posted

Hi Meg,

So you had the surgery? I thought it was scheduled for the 25th of Jan. No knuckle numbness after surgery. No numbness at all after surgery! I'm at Day 16 and can do most things just fine but have some wrist pain if I overdo it like today. I was cleaning: vacuuming, mopping,

laundry, dusting, cleaning glass tables, etc. and have had some pain as a result. If you look back at my posts after surgery, I felt a lot better from day 5 to day 8. It gets better quickly. you should be at around 7 days post op by now? Should start feeling much better quickly if all goes like mine did.

• Posted

Meg I too am a stylist for 39 yrs. I had surgery on my right hand 1wk ago. I can't see you going back in 2 weeks. I'm hoping mine will be great in 6 weeks. I took off 8 weeks. 6 weeks on right ans 4 on left hand. 

Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.