Haitus Hernia treatment for the elderly

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 87 year old mother is in hospital and very sick with Haitus hernia - she has been vomitting black blood and has an aspiration tube - twice the hernia seemed to settle but the doctor told her to eat normally which put he right back - now shes on the third time and they don't think she could have an opteration due to her medical issues and age - does anyone have any comment or know of an elderly person who has had the operations successfully ? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 82 and had the surgery Feb of 2016 and doing ok, having some problem with diaphragm that was repaired, also started having a bit of nausea but went on nausea pills and it has stopped. If you mom does have surgery, make sure the doctor does a lot of these surgeries and has a follow up team which Dr Aye in Seattle has.

I pray you find the right doctor and your mother gets help.

Jo

• Posted

Will pray that your mom's surgery goes well.    It will probably take a lot of time for her to recouperate, if the surgery is at all like mine.   My doctor keeps telling me to "have patience"-- easier said than done, however.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.