Hal RAR experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

i am seven weeks into recovering from HALO RAR SURGERY

I just wanted to share my experience as this forum helped me whilst recovering

I have had haemorrhoids for years but they never caused me any pain just had bleeding if i was run down or had been drinking this eventually developed into a small prolapsed haemorrhoid which would by its nature "sweat" as its internal tissue and should be inside

time to get it repaired

i had a friend who has had this procedure twice , after talking to him and to my surgeon and after switching up my diet with little results it was time to take action.

had the surgery and due to not being able to urinate in a specified time and it being late i was told i would be staying the night

was dosed up with tramadol and paracetamol and released with medication following morning .

took tramadol paracetamol and stool softeners for next three days and was extremely uncomfortable

it is impossible to get comfortable due to the swelling and the "disconnected "feeling between the anus and the bowel .

this is where it gets a bit messy i did not have a bowel movement for seven days

instead i was kind of leaking poop steadily as i took the liquid laxative and fibre gel provided .

sanitary towels help and will save you from washing under wear whilst you are exhausted and trying to recover

i could not get comfortable and found i had to keep shifting around the bed best way is to lay on your front diagonally across the-bed and support your arms with pillows sounds odd but worked for me .

i also suffered terrible night sweats either from the general anaesthetic or the Tramadol.

After several days of this strange kind of existence i contacted the doctor and was given a glycerol suppository prescription , took one managed to pass some stool and decided to stop taking the medication except the ibuprofen and paracetamol .

within 48 hours i felt better and started to have regular bowel movements with some blood but this is apparently normal ?

the recovery seems to be a two step forward one step back kind of thing as you have regular bowel movements the waste slams into the swollen area and increases swelling.

The smell is also not great passing gas or with bowel movements i recommend spending a lot of time in a warm but not hot bath.

Grab sleep where you can and eat lots of fruit drink herbal teas eat soups etc and shower lots .

This all sounds traumatic and for the most part it is But after two and a half weeks i went back to work , if i am honest i wasnt fully functioning until week three,

Now at week seven i can safely say i am glad i had the surgery, i would have it again in the future if i needed to as i have no haemorrhoid symptoms and i cant really believe i lived with embarrassing and uncomfortable symptoms .

repeat the mantra

short term pain for long term gain

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

That is a really good post, and anyone going to have the operation or straight after post op, that is good advice, because anyone on there own at home, i don't no how they cope, did you get the spasms at night, like a big electric shock going up through you? also not trying to pass gas at night cos it hurt too much, in the day it wasn't to bad, but at night very very painful.

Neil

• Posted

got to say i didnt have any pain whilst passing gas

spasm i had whilst trying to urinate as everything is so swollen

it gets better though

an ice pack works in between the cheeks use a freezer bag and something material

a hot bath tends to get the pulse racing and increase swelling warm soothes

it will get better

short term pIn long term gain

i wish they had told me not to

panic about bowel movements before i left hospital

i knew it would be a while before nature took its course but you end up panicking and obsessing about it

• Posted

i think i had my first bowel movement on day 3, and i was worried to death, and it did hurt, and was fearful before i went, i also had problems urinating, straight after the operation in the ward, and they were worried, i had the feeling to go, but just couldn't, its was like that for about 7 days post op, id go when i was totally full, now its pretty back to normal, but pre op, i always had issues with urinating which i put down to the internal piles, ive never had my prostate checked because its always been swollen and painful in that area, but my bloods for prostate checks have always come back good, im at day 16 today, just this lump down below now, bowel movements are ok for the last 2 days, it's not agrivating it, so i'm aiming to get out if bed for a while today, if the lump just settles and strinks, i may just leave it, like it is, if it doesn't cause me problems, they said i may need a 2nd op, but i'm now weary if having that, rather put up with it.

Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.