Hal rar - Perth

Posted , 3 users are following.

thought i would share my experience for anyone suffering from grade 4 prolasped hemaroids. im now post op for hal rar, im a 47yo male and have experienced prolasped regularly on each BM which was pushed back in by hand. in recent times the hems would swell and come out on any physical exertion to a point where even when i was laying bed they would pop out.. however it was always manageable until now. i research treatments and found dr ahmul had performed successfully 1000 ops in perth.

prior to the surgery i had to get an all clear for a colonoscopy which i did to rule out any other issues as i was anemic from bleeding from time to time. at colonoscopy the doctor also performed a gastropy to investigate any stomach issues. i woukd recommend if you are doing the colonoscopy to also get this done since you are in the hospital anyway, and effort is another 10mins - luckily i came back with no issues so the hal rar surgery was scheudled.

op day

checked into hospital and was told it would be overnight stay, i recieved two enemas which made me clear my bowel but left me quite raw and swollen.

the op itself was quitr easy and when i woke up it was all done. the dr said i was quite extensive a grade 4 and if there was a banding above that i would be it. he had done 5 circumferential hems.

day 1 post op

couldnt wee

couldnt pass bm

had 6 bags of movical over a few hours

was told i had to wee and do bm before being able to check out.

i was able to wee about 12pm and finally did a bm at about 5pm where the insert was passed.

i was allowed to go home and given

tanpandental pain killers

oxicone strong pain killers

lactuose laxatives

celebrex anti inflame

metrogyl which is antibiotics

panamax

day 2

took 2 tabs of tanpandental every 6 hrs

had serious urinary retention

managed to have a small stream to avoid a cathater

at 10pm my bladder was bursting anf finally peed for along while

throughout the night continued to pee - i think my body was expelling the various meds

i seriously think the opiod made me urinary retentive so stopped this altogather. only pain was controlled by panamax

did about 3 bm which all were smooth due to a tablespoon twice a day of laculose

pain after each bm was a 5 - hurt like hell

stinging feeling which subsided after 5-15 mins

day 3

bm about 4 - pain still unbearable after bm resorted to taking one tapandentol to sleep

urinary retention on and off - nurse told me could be related to the severve pain which i beleive could be true howver opiods def dont help.

day 5

still recovering taking epsom dips now which help

i think will take me another good week or more to feel better.

day 6

started to notice a rash developing around the anus - due to discharge of fluids. i think this is the hem shrinking and releasing fluids

stopped the epsom salt baths as although they helped i found that sudocreme worked alot better on the area strongly recommended

also started to not wear underwear to bed to allow the area to self dry

pain is alot better today when resting - bm still sting after like a mofo but getting better

used an ice pack which seemed to help but not that much

i found also was peeing in the morning and at nights after a bm would get retention. just had to keep trying and getting that pee to flow.

im optimistic that i will be feeling alot better after this week.

was constipated today had a bm at usual time in morning and a small poop came out. waste of a bm given the pain afterwards.

at 9am i had lactlose which then allowed for a nice bm to happen - stomach now relieved

need to wear underwear in the day as anus swells after bm and the underwear gives more cushioning.

day 8

had a good sleep last night - been bed rest for last 3 days - also been working from home. pain is quite bad for last two days in the morning till about 11am where sitting on a chair is really uncomfortable - could correlate with my morning BM, in the afternoon and night it subsides.

i woke up at 4.30am and took the chance to take 1 tablespoon of lacutose, at 6.30 woke and had my bm stool was soft but not overly. been eating fruit for breakfast, eggs for lunch and lots of soup rice and veges. finished my course of antibiotics and havent touched a painkiller since two days ago. retention still happening on and off - correlated with high inflamation and pain with bm. ive been having celebrix 100mg twice daily - only today ive sorted of put two and two together and say its helping alot with inflamation. its 12.30pm now and inflamation and pain level is 0.5.also the sudocreme still doing its thing the rash is down to a slight pain now.

hope this posts helps. overall i think i made the correct choice in dr and procedure and hope to update at 12 weeks.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

day 9

yesterday was pain after bm then after swelling went down felt really good. however took my usual lactulose and had a healthy dinner. at about 7.30pm had a bm , three long flattish turds came out - felt good didnt strain - burning pain was minimal, there was blood mixed in each stool dryish blood, at end of bm felt like a stool dropping out and then something heading back up my passge - didnt see a stool exit so wonder if it was a hem inflating and then getting pulled back up.

then the swelling started, i could feel my pelvic muscles tensing and sort of pulling was painful - no position was comformable - backend felt raw. i checked my anus to see if anything protruding and nothing was however there was lots of pressure just near the opening inside. i started to worry about an external hem building up or of the internals slipped a little.

took some inbruphen which i should of dane throughout as these help with inflamation and panadol deals with pain. for me bm results in inflamed insides, also took a celebrex. i was bed ridden and couldnt do anything to get comfortable - it was a 0.5 pain prior to bm to a 7 afterwards i was very worried.

i went to bed was seriously retentive. meds were ineffective - ibrurofen worked to a small degree - fell asleep at 12am woke up and anus still feels inflamed, still nothing indicating hems returned but i was still worried.

3am woke up and miraculously all inflamation has gone - back to a 0.5 pain level - can easily go tiolet.

right now is 7.30am wont do my morning bm given i did a good one before bed - afraid will incapaciate me for the day. overall positive sign that things have gone down. will be using ibrurphen instead of panamax from here on out. hope next bm is gentle aftermath.

• Posted

day 10

rest of day 9 was ok. had a decent bm around 12pm and then another at 7pm. both times pain levels significantly reduced pain level 1.5.

at night time did notice some discomfort sleeping - had some panamax - some inflamation. nothing prolasping.

i did recieve a call from the nurse - she outlined the doctor would ligate the hems and the test for the flow using the doppler to ensure ligation was done correct. when ligated there would be some blood in the current inflamation which would get absorbed back into the body. the sutures used would dissolve in 70 days and the presence of the sultures is also what causes the scarification process.

day 10 did bm in morning usual time and another on about at 12 . pain now still at 1.5 on the bm. no serious swelling post bm experienced. taking ibrurophen, celebrix and panamax to manage pain and inflamation.

• Edited

Post 2 weeks tomorrow - Quite pain free now -

Things to consider

1. Keep BM regular - take Lactuose
    2. Take ibruprohen for inflamation and panadol for pain
    3. Sleep when in pain and get plenty of rest
    4. eat veges and soup

Hoping recovery continues well.

• Posted

update : 5 and a half weeks now post op. havent had any pain for last 2 weeks - bowel movements normal and going well.

highly recommend this surgery and the dr if you are in perth.

i would say the skill of the surgeon would count a lot in the outcome.

was getting some blood with the stool at week 3-4 nothing major just spotting and in the stools itself.

had a post op review at 3 weeks - doctor was very impressed with recovery - i did have a clot of some sort between anus and scrotum which wasnt there before - was a hard bump - doc said it was the alternative flow my body organs are trying to flow as a few viens were tied up - makes sense - lump has since gone down 90percent.

all in all hope i never relapse - dr said there is a 5percent chance of that happening - ill take those odds.

for anyone contemplating hal rar or full on hectorictomy - hal rar by a country mile. although i have never experienced the latter. hope i have helped those still researching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.