Halloween Resection Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'll have my colon resection this Thursday on Halloween. it was the 1st available date I could get. I'm nervous and not looking forward to the 2 day prep. but I'm ready to have this surgery and hopefully get my life back. Since my last hospital im September I've prayed i could stay healthy and not have to postpone surgery. I started sneezing and runny nose yesterday and pray this will not prevent it. I also have asthma and lots of times a cold will turn into bronchitis. Praying had this will not happen. i begin taking my antibiotics Wednesday (did anyone else get prescribed these before surgery? Love yo hear about others surgery and recovery

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

I hope you are not getting ill. I would think antibiotics started early is a good idea but I have not had the surgery. Good luck with your surgery!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wishing you a fast recovery on your Halloween surgery, think positive and take care.🎃

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Rest easy Linda. I had open cut sigmoid colectomy almost 18 months ago. I also have asthma and was concerned about getting pneumonia, stop worrying, everything will be fine. I also had to take the antibiotics prior to my surgery. You didn't say which surgery you were having, if it's open cut ask for the pain blocker. It will make your life easier the first week after surgery. The big plus for me was waking up to no more diverticulitis nausea. The nausea I was experiencing was from the antibiotics and surgery, which was immensely mild compared to diverticulitis nausea. Follow what your doctors tell you, walk as much as you can, drink lots of water. I've always kept in mind what goes in has to come out, so for myself I stayed on a soft diet the first 8 weeks then began introducing foods I hadn't had in years slowly and moderately. Believe it or not my main craving was for a spinach salad..lol. I didn't have a choice regarding surgery, but if I did...the answer is yes!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Even better for you. The healing process is faster than an open cut. Surgery is scary, but after 19+ attacks in 18 months I was so ready for it. Like I said, ask your doctor any questions you have, don't be afraid. You will feel so much better afterwards, mentally knowing you are going to feel almost human again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glenda is right, Linda. I had open surgery and didn't do as well as I was hoping but I am now 4 years out and the only issue I still have is diarrhea but with fiber tablets even that is not serious. If I had to do through it again I would certainly do it. Again, like Glenda I had no choice. Fistula between colon and bladder. Had to be done. I also agree on the pain block but I don't think you will be needing that. You will do great. Don't dwell on the what if's, think of the I can't wait to be wells. Take care and much luck to you o n your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up