Hallucinations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had hallucinations following knee replacement last July. No recall...until a week after. 'Due to pain pills. I wonder what that did to my brain?  Effected behaviors, getting back to normal.

Fjohn

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Medications and anesthesia can really do a number on our heads! Chemicals are being added to our bodies, and sometimes they produce weird results.

Don't know what if any long-term effects they all produce, but for me the big helps were 1) drinking LOTS of ice water and urinating out the anesthesia and toxins, 2) Getting off narcotic pain relievers ASAP, 3) stretching, exercising frequently throughout the day and night, and 4) TRYING to rest, elevate and ice as much as I could.

• Posted

I would be more inclined to worry about the anesthesia but know first hand some pain meds are really bad especially when combined with other drugs. One of my cousin's had surgeries a number of years ago and was given hydecol? He hallucinate something terrible. Up in the middle of the bed screaming and yelling. Then a few years later I had an upper abdominal hernia repaired. They had to reopen a gall bladder scar to fix it and had the same stuff and hallucinate on and off for several days. Beautiful vivid technicolor nightmares. Then in the early 1990's my mother had to have a malignant kidney removed and same story. She told an interesting story of having a long conversation with my dad.............who had been dead for nearly 25 years. I'm not sure but think the no longer use that stuff. As far as brain damage probably nothing to worry about if everything is coming back strong and undisturbed now. Our nephew is an infectious disease Dr. and he always says there is no such thing as minor surgery. Any time you are put on any form of life support its major. Most people look at their surgeon as "The Man".....as for me, I want to know more about the anesthtist than any of them. Glad everything is going. Well for you now
  • Posted

Probably nothing long term. I had some pretty crazy reactions to meds following surgery. I'd start a sentence and couldn't remember what I was saying! At times, felt I couldn't control my mouth to speak properly. Guessing it was my reaction to some much needed, very strong pain meds. Didn't last long, though. Think it was more related to anesthesia, too. 

• Posted

I avoided general anesthesia and very strong narcotics. Had some hallucinating from diloded, so I was taken off of that in hospital and given codeine and Tylenol . I have been off the codeine for a week now; I'm 51/2 was. Out for TKR on left knee. I wish u the best , but do not have much advice since I didn't experience what you have. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.