Hallucinations in ICU after sepsis and pneumonia

Posted , 5 users are following.

A couple of years ago, I went into hospital for a routine operation on my tongue.  After the procedure my tongue was very swollen, so they decided to put me back to sleep until the swelling went down.  Unfortunately I then contracted sepsis and pneumonia, was on life support for a week or so.  It took me a long time to recover physically and mentally from this experience.  I had the most horrendous hallucinations whilst in ICU.  I felt like I had been buried alive, embalmed, some of the nurses were from hell and some were from heaven and they were both trying to take me.  Even though this was a long time ago now, I still remember it like it was yesterday.   Has anyone else had similar experiences?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am sorry I cannot help you, but quite an experience. Maybe some others on the forum might. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Vivian

• Posted

My mum thought she was in a war zone after her operation in hospital and was begging us to rescue her from the 'nurses with the guns'. Its a very difficult  time for some people but is solely a result of reaction to the drugs given. My aunt had the same thing and her husband was very worried as he thought she needed a psych, Try to put it behind you and remember it  was just the effect of the drugs you were given and nothing  else. Good luck
  • Posted

yes, similar, during sepsis. keyboard malfunction can not elaborate right now . Does seem like yesterday, very real. sympathize!
  • Posted

Hi

Last year following a bout of tonsillitis, I too developed pneumonia and septicemia and was in an induced coma for 12 days in ICU.

The hallucinations were dreadful and very frightening it seemed that even closing my eyes when blinking would feel as if I was in an underground chamber in which 3D "monsters - devils - gargoyles" would lunge toward me as if to drag me deeper into hell. I remember lying in bed exhausted but telling the nurses that I was too afraid to go to sleep because I beleived I would die if I did.

I was reassured repeatedly that these awful images were a result of the many medications given while in the coma, and that they would gradually fade as the meds left my system. It helped to know that when awake, but they continued to be a fixture for several days and caused a lot of distress.

Thankfully the staff were right and they did fade, but I can empathise with you as the memory of that time still feels very raw and an experience I hope never to repeat.

Good luck my dear with your ongoing recovery and I hope that in the goodness of time - your recollections (mine too) become dim and distant memories.

Miceelf

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.