Hallux Rigidus Surgery.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Anyone here had surgery for HR.

I had surgery the middle of last year for suspected HR. Decompression osteotomy with Cheilectomy had a few problems with the recovery and had to have revision surgery which included further cheilectomy and debridement.

11 weeks post 2nd surgery and still getting swelling and some joint pain which is different than the before the initial surgery.

I have read that swelling can last anywhere up to a year. My worry is the joint ache and pain. I'm not sure if this is post op healing raw bone etc. Or is it something else.

Does anyone here have similar experience of HR surgery and did they eventually get rid of the pain??

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks into post hallux surgery with 4 hammertoes with pins.  2nd nightI t fell due to the knee scooter handles doing a 90 degree flip and I fell on the operated foot.  Now my doctor tells me I have to have a "modified osteotomy in about 6-9 months after the swelling is gone.  I am in pain and am VERY discouraged and depressed.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I have had quite a few surgeries in my life, but the pain from this is almost unbearable.

• Posted

Months have passed since this original post.  I had the decompression osteotomy or Sagittal Mitchell just over a month ago.  According the dr's notes, my metatarsal was shortened by 3mm.  At the month check up, I was told I could get out of the boot as long as I wear highly cushioned athletic shoes.  The issue was there is still minimal movement in my big toe.  I have been manually manipulating the toe at least twice a day.  It seems impossible to move the toe down past a certain spot, which is minimal.  Moving the toe up causes sharp pain and sometimes I feel a crack when I release it.  I deal with the pain on  mobility because I'm told to, but is this normal?  How much pain for mobility exercises.  I did have a PT appt and he did graston, which he says made a difference.  

What is your experience with regaining mobility with this surgery?  My dr has been vague in what to expect or do going forward.

• Posted

How is your toe today? I'm scheduled for surgery October 20th and it just started investigating patient forms

• Posted

A question for the foot and ankle surgeon. My podiatric surgeon has recommended decompression osteotomy on my left big toe joint. An MRI showed that my osteo-arthritis is far worse than previously thought (the X-rays had suggested mild arthritis). He had previously sugged a cheilectomy, but now says that wouldn't work on its own. even the decompressive osteotomy may not work, he says - the best long-term solution would be to fuse the joint but I'm relatively young (in my early 40s). I have read your comments about not undergoing surgery - how would you treat avanced osteo-arthritis? I get pain in both my feet. I feel like I have little choice. Thanks Julia

• Posted

I have the same problem, it will still be swollen for a week, exercise, massage and Physical Therapy seems to be helping me, you need to continue to bend toes backward for a minute and forward for a minute, heel raises and more, daily 2x if you can, at least for 1 year and a half then 2 to 3 times a week, this is what I have been advised
  • Posted

I have had 3 toe surgeries in 7 months.I originally went in to have a bunionectomy and hammertoe on the 2nd toe corrected. Two days after surgery the xray showed my big toe was hallux varus.  Sinc e the big toe was dislocated the doc said he would fix it immediately. 2 days later I was back having correction surgery done. However, for some reason the big toe again went into hallux varus. I think a tendon or something was cut to allow the toe to go in that direction. Also the screws were coming out and he replaced them with larger screws but they were coming out too. Sept 20 i had another revision surgery this time putting an implant in my 2nd toe which was misaligned and also facing the wrong way. I had an implant also put in my 1st toe as to avoid the fusion of the big toe for now.  I have nopain in my big toe joint, however i do have pain under my foot. On

?is my sesamoids was removed during the 1st surgery. I feel like i have a small bone or fragment wandering around under my 1st and 2nd toes. I am limping as it does hurt. the doc says the 2nd toe wasn't shortended enough therefore it is hitting first before the other toes. My big toe still drifts in the wrong direction until i put sneakers

on and it tightens up the toe. Its 6 weeks now and still have pain. I still have swelling which i expected but thought the pain would be gone by now. Could a wrong tendon have been cut?

• Posted

Hi, I had HR surgery on my right foot on Oct. 12th. I was heel bearing for the first few weeks and at my 4 week check up I was allowed to drive if it didn't hurt to do so. I was walking pretty decent with minimal pain at my 4 week check up also. I have a metal plate and 5 screws in my big toe and it's still numb but the swelling is pretty much gone and only lasted about 8 weeks total. No joint pain at all either. The only issues I have are that my other toes hurt from over compensating with walking not using my big toe. The side of my foot hurts from time to time and my shoe feels much tighter now on the surgery foot. I am almost 12 weeks post surgery and am definitely glad I had the surgery. It was harder to live with the pain than the numbness I experience now.

Good luck,

Kristy

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to share positive results like that.
  • Posted

Hi Steve I am 6 months post and still have joint pain yes it moves more but there is joint pain which I didn't have before and so tired of manipulating the toe I have to do exercises every day and it is so time consuming. I'm exhausted of this new life.

• Posted

Steve how is it coming along???I still have joint pain but my big toe has move movement which I am thankful for, still go to Physical therapy it helps, it's 7 months post, praying it will get better in the next 5 mos when it makes a year.

• Posted

Hi Mary I am exactly where you are, the pain is excruciating, it wasnt before the operation. I am now told I need a full fusion, scared to death considering i have got worse not better?

• Posted

It's nearly 2 years since my revision surgery.

I still have pain in the joint, " not always".

I'm managing at the moment, I think you just get used to the pain.

Quite good movement in the joint.

• Posted

Hi I have had a cheilectomy and 4 months later and limping and cant walk 99% worse than before. Its great saying dont touch the operation AFTER we have had the operation BUT what do we do now?.

No one told me that non touching it would be better, a bit late now.

I have been told now its a full fusion I need and I have had so much pain its not something I wish to do. I was wondering could it be nerve damage?

would it be rude to suggest that it could be nerve damage to my surgeon.

I do wish I had not had it done as I am so much worse off and not sure I can go through another surgery feeling it would give the same out come? I am looking for non invasive surgery solutions IF they exists

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.