Hallux Rigidus - surgery options

Posted , 5 users are following.

For years i've had pain when walking anything more than a couple of miles due arthritis in both my big toe joints.  At rest no problem.  Given I enjoy hill walking it's annoying!   Saw a consultant who recommended toe joint replacements or fusion but I'm worried about the quality of the outcome versus where I am now.  I wonder if anyone out there has got any experience.  (particularly hikers! - actually any views gratefully received) thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Might another option be physical therapy, or a combo of cortisone shots and PT?
  • Posted

Hi Alrick, I think that fusion will be very restrictive, physio is a waste of time but will kepp an NHS worker in job, I suppose :-(, and cortisone injections are a short term fix. Curios about the toe joint replacement though. I think that is worth finding out more about as I really do not know enough about it.
  • Posted

I say, "Don't do it."  Unless you are in your 20's or 30's.  I had bunion pain for a couple of years so went for the surgery June 9.  I am still praying that I'll go back to the simple pain I had before the surgery, compared to the discomfort and hassle of this operation.  I still cannot fit into any normal shoe, and my foot still swells and is in pain.  I wish someone had told me not to do it.  I'm very athletic and haven't worked out in 12 weeks! Torture for me.
    • Posted

Joyce

Keep going- the pain does go eventually! I'm now 6 months post op and my feet have finally settled down. I'm back to walking and managed two three mile walks this weekend without my feet hurting at all. It's taken a very long time for my feet to settle and I was surprised at this but it does get better.

I had both feet done at once -aitken and scarf osteomy done by the NHS in Perth, Scotland. My toes were pinned rather than fused but I think it depends on how bad your toes are.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Eileen.  That's encouraging. Unfortunately I only had one done and after all this, I doubt I'll have the other done unless it becomes painful. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.