hallux valgus

Posted , 5 users are following.

day 14 feeling good 2day pain not as sore.go 2 hospital 2morro doctor will check its healing okay and will get bandage changed.cant wait the doc will get knocked out when he takes bandage off lol.will let u all know how i get on.im glad i found the forum and my bunionless friends lol.good 2 hear how every1 is getting on  and glad that ur recovery is going well.it also gives me encourgement.happy healing every1.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Big day for me too tomorrow. Can 't wait to see what is going on under all those bandages amd also to find out if I can be on my feet more. Much less pain these last 2 days so hopefully over the worst. Good luck tomorrow and happy healing to you too and everyone else out there x
  • Posted

Hi Mary & Joyce, you will love getting the dressing off tomorrow - it's so nice to feel the air on your foot even for just a short time before smaller dressing back on! Actually I had stitches removed at 14 days & was able to leave the hospital in just a sock. I

my surgery was bunion to big toe corrected & screws inserted, hammertoe correction to 2nd toe & removal of a mortons neuroma  so quite a lot for one small foot. I am 5 weeks in recovery now & able to wear trainers (a size bigger than my usual) & carry on fairly normal with daily routine. I can walk around to shops etc for approx an hour before need to rest.  The bunion bit has been no trouble at all & my only concern is the swelling on hammertoe corrected. I think as long as you do the exercises they set you each day & try to get into a loose trainer ASAP (this helps get swelling down) you will be fine in just a few weeks. My dressing was very bloody & stuck but the dr just did a little jiggle with the dressing & it came off a treat! Stitches being removed was easy too so please don't worry about these things. I painted my toe nails at 2half weeks to reclaim my foot & from 4 weeks could manage to rub a little E45 cream onto the scars which really seemed to help my healing. Hope tomorrow goes really well for you & good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Hi Daren

Thank you for good wishes. Dressings off today and now only light dressing. I am very lucky that there was no bleeding or swelling and the wound is healing well. It looks like being a good girl and keeping foot elevated as instructed ,has really paid off. Four more weeks of the glamerous sandal to go but over the worse now. As others have commented this is not an easy op, something not really appreciated until you have been through it which is why it is good to have the support of others in the same boat. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Mary, I hope you are feeling as positive as I am having had the bandages off. My wound is healing well and there was no blood or swelling. The foot elevation has really paid off. Now the exercise regime begins.This has not been an easy journey but hopefully the worst is over and patience and time are what is now needed. Good Luck and Happy Healing.
    • Posted

it was great 2 have the bandage off and changed.i had a lot of dried blood i got an xray and the doc is very pleased with the healing.i think because i was quite fit i hope i heal quicker.im glad u are doing so well and im sure u will get through the exercise fine.hope ur journey is near the end and u continue 2 heal well.

• Posted

Hi Mary, very encouraging to hear this, day 2 post op for me and am doing my best to keep elevated, drink fluids, keep on, top of the pain, and wiggle my toes. I just had hellux valgus correction, with 2 screws. The physio thinks I will not need crutches after 2 weeks, cannot believe that right now, but let's see! Will be following the discussions with interest! Good wishes to all for speedy and smooth recovery.
    • Posted

hi caroline you sound as if thats the same op that i got.i am day 18 and i feel fine just really bored now and cant wait until i get the shoe and bandage off 4 good and get shoe back on.i have got another 3 weeks on thursday until that happens and if doc is pleased with it,if not it will be on 4 another 2 weeks.i was at hospital on thursday and everything went fine apart from the stiches getting cut out.mostly dissolving but the ends had 2 get cut and that was a bit painful.i looked at my foot and it wasnt as bad as i imagined.the only thing i dont like is the pins sticking out my 2 hammer toes.i got the nurse 2 put bandage round them.happy healing and u will do great,its not as bad as u think,u just have 2 be patient.

• Posted

Thank you so much Mary! Able to walk around at home with one crutch today, hubby at work today so actually made up the bed and got myself a cuppa, whoopee! It's a humbling experience, you understand how older and disabled people feel on a daily basis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.