hallux valgus

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery  yesterday 8.2.15 i had a metatarsal osteotomy and a pip fusion.  i was quite shocked when i saw a pin hanging out the end of my toe but have to say that apart from the odd twinge now and again its not too painful. i was told to leave all bandaging on  until my  sutures come out in 2 weeks then  have to wait another 4 weeks for the pin to come out. its only day 1  for me so going to get very bored. i am not one to sit around. i have been given a heel wedge shoe  and crutches but not sure how often i should be up walking . has anyone had the  same op and what are your experiences? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had bunion surgery plus a pin in my second toe.  I was told to keep my leg elevated for 90% of the time, above heart level, for at least 2 weeks.  Not easy!  I'm now 7 weeks post-op and still find my foot goes numb and pins-and-needly so that I have to raise it.  I found it very painful to put my foot down for any length of time to start with.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Judy i prob am expecting too much too soon  so will keep taking the pills. wishing you a complete recovery.

all the very best.

Jan.

• Posted

Hi, I had this op on the 26th Jan so I am exactly 2 weeks post op. I went back to work today in an office so all organised so that I can elevate etc. 

i was categorically told by the consultant on the morning of my op that the reason I was being given a heel wedge shoe was so I could get around as normal. Having read other peoples blogs and stories of how they were told to elevate for most of the day only getting up for loo breaks I was quite amazed at what he said. 

I have done everything thing I would normally do around the house although a lot slower. I rested and elevated when I felt the need to. 

My hubby took me to a garden centre for a short while at the end of the first week and I also did a supermarket shop with him. I've not tried to do too much and have been surprised at how little this has effected me. I did stock up on lots of ready meals for the freezer and was quite prepared to go on bed rest, but that hasn't happened at all. 

I have had my post op appointment and everything is healing well and as it should be. Also had X-rays. The nurse said because I'm moving around a lot it lessens the risk of blood clots. 

Were you told complete bed rest? I do know from my post op that different consultants have different methods. I have been given a toe spacer to wear whilst the other consultant at the same hospital favours a plaster cast. 

I would definately recommend wearing a big sock over your bandages as it also stops the pin catching in bed. I also wear a normal boot with a small heel in the house to bring my good leg up to the same height otherwise with a slipper or pump on I limp. 

I think your body will let you know what's right for you. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Kind regards

Sue

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. can you tell me how long after  your op  were your sutures removed and have you had your pin removed already too? 

What pain relief are you taking if any?  i work as a nurse in gp practice so dont think i will be safe to go to  work  in 2 weeks. my consultant has told me prob looking 8-10weeks which makes me wonder why you are  back so soon. surely if you still have the pin in it will cause you some difficulties mobilising  do you drive to work and if so How?  my shoe has got the big heel wedge on  too  and no way could i drive  with that.

I feel  like i am making a fuss  and you seem to be just getting on with it. 

• Posted

Hi, I had the end sutures removed last Friday and the rest are dissolvable. The pin is still in place and will remain so for at least another 2 weeks when I have my next appointment. 

I was taking 30 mg co-codamol 4 times a day, but am not at the moment. I was also prescribed Naproxin twice a day, but I was already on these for an arthritic knee. I am continuing with these as normal for me. 

I am am wearing a thick sock over a very minimal dressing and the pin which is taped over. The Velcro sandal is longer than my foot so gives me the extra protection so I don't knock it. 

Im very lucky that my hubby is taking me to and from work as he is retired. I have been forbidden to drive in the shoe and quite frankly it would be dangerous as its so huge. 

I think we are all different in our recovery and I can assure you I have had a few tears. Mainly of frustration as I have a few arthritic problems in my shoulders and they are aching quite badly at the moment. 

I did have a really bad point last Friday evening when after a positive post op appointment I decided to give myself the luxury of a bath having only managed showers so far. 

I planned everything meticulously getting everything I needed around me first. I covered foot with shoe on in a Tesco carrier bag. I got in the bath empty and then put bad foot over the edge. Ran a lovely bubble bath and lay back and relaxed. The door was unlocked incase of a problem and I was in sheer bliss. 

Then I pulled the plug. Drained the water......I could not raise myself up to get out. No matter how I tried I did not have the strength. I cried like a baby as I felt so helpless. 

I really only only wanted to call my hubby as a last resort, so I dragged all the dry towels into the empty bath and after a lot of huffing and puffing I finally managed to stand up. I was so exhausted after this I swore I would not attempt again until I was completely healed. I felt such an idiot!

So it  hasn't all been plain sailing but I am very happy with how I am progressing so far. I'm sure you're not making a fuss. 

Kind regards

Sue

• Posted

Ah bless you , you sound like a very independant lady and you will make a good recovery positive attitude goes a long way when these things happen. i feel quite bitter really because i feel that if my GP had listened to me in the first place  this surgery could have been avoided. i knew i had a problem with my foot becaus a similar thing happened to my other foot 3 years ago and i had that one sorted  with surgery but no need to have fusion in my 2nd toe. i will follow your posts and hope that you will soon be up running.

Take  care.

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.