hallux valgus

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  well i had the op last sunday  so am now 6 days post op i had a metatarsal osteotomy  and pip fusion,  i have not been given  much info  for post op   i am still getting pain  every  so often like a throbbing  burning pain i am managing to walk around with the wedge shoe they gave me and the pain is not too  bad most of the time i just get it every so often mostly when sitting when my foot is elevated. i do rest it most of the day. it feels very stiff and sore.

My main concern is infection i have no idea what it looks like under the dressings  and been told when  discharged  from the hospital that i have to keep this foot bandaged and wait for appt to have sutures removed.

This i am told is approx 2 weeks,  which apparently i will get appt through the post for.

There has  been no mention of me having to go for dressing change and just worry that it may not be healing.

Does anyone else feel like this?

This Forum is excellent  for advice but no one seems to have this problem

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was given an appointment when I was discharged to get my dressing checked at 7 days, & as my foot was swollen & feeling a bit hot I was given another appt for 14 days & told to come back sooner if I was worried it was infected. It was fine. I would phone the hospital & ask for an appointment to see someone asap just to put your mind at rest. I have had very little pain, but everyone is different & quite a few on this forum have had a lot of pain, so it doesn't follow that pain = infection, but if I was you I'd be happier getting it checked. Good luck with your recovery, Fiona 
    • Posted

Thank you Fiona, 

I  dont  think it is infected as the pain only comes  every so often but was just a bit suprised  that i have not been offered a dressing change, and i suppose  if i am honest if it was infected i am sure the pain would be constant,  you have put  my mind at rest thou.

Hope   you continue to make a full recovery, but take it easy. 

Did you have the same op as me? and how long did they tell you the pin would be removed?

• Posted

I just had my bunion done, I have a plate & 2 screws(permanent) no pins on other toes, if you look at some of the other forums on here loads of people have pins in hammer toes, so that should give you a better idea. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had bunion and two toes with pins on the 19th January. It was two weeks later I had to go and get dressing removed and stitches out. ( appt. came in post) they then just left a minimal dressing on just like a large plaster to be honest. I was then told to keep boot on whilst walking and keep elevated when not. The letter with date for pins out came two days later in the post and it was for two weeks after the stitches. So I go this THURSDAY. Hope this helps......I was just told to shower if I felt brave enough but to keep foot dry somehow.
  • Posted

Hi Hormones,

For the dressing, mine was done on alternate days. That was for the first week and it was done in the hospital. On the 2nd and 3rd week, i only need to do dressing 3 days once. After that was my first appointment with the surgeon . During that time the pin was removed.

Hope to have some input to you. Bye.

• Posted

Hi I  had my op on 26th Jan and was given an appointment for 2 weeks later for dressing to be checked and changed. At that appointment the nurse also gave me spare dressings so I could change it myself in a few days. I also had an X-ray to confirm that everything was progressing well. I would definitely phone the hospital if you are concerned. Now I'm day 19 post op I bathe my foot every day avoiding getting the pin area wet and I've been using arnica cream on and around the scar areas. I do have times when my foot feels really hot, then I sit and elevate for a while. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Kind regards Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.