Hallux Valgus bunion right foot Feb. 21, wondering everyone’s ROM progress

Posted , 7 users are following.

Thought I’d start my own discussion. I will have to come back and fill in details that I’ve already put on other threads, but today I’m starting to wonder how I’m doing compared to others on the ROM exercises given to me. I was told in my post op visit on March 1st, to start to wiggle my toes and start the big toe exercises. My ortho surgeon doesn’t seem to hand out the physical therapy to all his patients based on what the nurse has told me. 

When I try and wiggle my toes now, they spasm a little while bending. And of course don’t bend that far... I also get spasms in my feet sometimes when I’m not doing any exercises. I’m taking magnesium and also doing mag oil spray .

I had  felt good about the exercises, but today it really hurts when my hubby does them. I find it easier to have him do them, as I feel when I do I’m doing it wrong. I watched the videos and even had him watch him. 

Im going to try and include some pics for anyone to see if they want. 

Well it said file too big... grr! I’ll have to play around to figure that out! 

Guess I’m just feeling like I’m not progressing as I should be. I couldn’t sleep again last night trying to get comfy. I was awake the whole night :-( I’m sure I should be exercising more often than the twice daily I do now. 

At 18 days out.. I think?! I’m curious as to how my foot is doing compared to others. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Here or a few more pics... maybe! 
    • Posted

Wow, guess there is no editing any of my posts. Eek! 
    • Posted

Hi Dona!  Thx for sharing pix of your progress!  I'm still trying to figure out how to post photos.  Anywho,  I believe the tingling and the periodic surprises of sharp pains are normal from what I learned from my Dr.  Our nerves are trying to reconnect themselves.  I was also concerned when I experienced those.  Still do when I do toe curls.  

I didn't realize you have 3 different incisions, but makes sense for the work your surgeon did.  I would suggest massaging your essential oils onto the bottom of your feet, especially the ball area of your foot.  Put EOs on your big toe too as that will really swell up when you do ROMs.  Once your steri strips fall off and any scabbing falls off and wounds look completely closed, you can begin using EOs right on the incisions.  BTW, which particular EOs are you using.

Meanwhile, cheers to healing for all of us here!!

• Posted

Ria! hope you conquered your Wednesday!!! 

The photos have to be smaller than 2 mb, and I had to have my hubby show me how to do that! 

not as many any sharp pains yesteday and today, hooray! 

I use turmeric, black pepper, mandarin red, geranium,  frankincense, ginger, just to think of a view off the top of my head. I also have a blend from my Aromatherapist called sore no more. I still need to make up your blends and start those. This having do work sets me back when I go in, so I find myself behind on all of my “catching up”. Ha! I do need to remember to start  putting them into the ball of my foot area. Usually they just go on The bottoms of my feet and on the side where my pinky toe is. The arnica has helped amazingly with the bruises. I will have to show another picture. What a difference in just a few days!  Usually on the balls on my foot it’s very prickly, like pins poking when I touch it. It does help when I just slowly apply touch to them. I’m not sure if that’s my Raynauds or this surgery. I did put some Cica tape on some old keoloid scars and one strip on my left foot bunion scar. Thanks for that suggestion! someone else told me about using NET, but I’m not sure about that... 

i got got bored and in a funk today (how much longer do I have, I’m not eating properly, I have no clothes, shoes, etc, lol) today and Started googling bunion stuff. I got myself all confused yet again on the exercises. It’s so crazy to me how many doctors prescribe different things for very similar  surgeries. So I have a tendency to read what other people did and then wonder if I’m falling behind and I should do that too, or if I’m not doing enough to help this process and then I get myself all worked up LOL. I would suggest others to really try and get full directions from your doctor that you trust in.That can be very hard to do As some doctors don’t give any instructions.

Yesterday I didn’t do any ROM exercises. Today when I went to try it my toe was very stiff and I could hardly bend it.  So I could only do a few and then I had had it. Hopefully I can pick it back up again regularly and get back into it. I did send a message to my nurse asking her to please confirm that I should be doing the exercises like that. I am also hoping she will tell me about a compression sock. Lately my foot does feel like it is being splayed out and all the bones are Spreading. It is very hard to explain that feeling. So I am wondering if a compression sock will help me to keep things aligned. And do I need to be doing that at this point? Hopefully she answers me.

hope you are well! I still have to think about shoes rolleyes 

• Posted

Lol.  Bless your heart, Dona!  I totally hear you on the whole being bored deal!!  I've had many nights and days like that.  Recovery does get better though.  The time is just a lilttle different for everyone due to the type of surgery and post op instructions.  Extend yourself lots of grace during this time.  It's hard to allow ourselves to rest, but we sure feel it when we do otherwise, don't we?!  It's good you're doing some research of your own as did I.  It's better to be informed than not, IMO.  Keep pressing in to your surgeon for answers and clarity to all your questions and concerns, and definitely keep your toes moving however is allowed. 

My foot felt splayed as well but that's expected w the swelling.  Definitely keep massaging in your EOs.  Those do help me to minimize swelling/inflammation and softening the tissue surrounding toe joint and along w elevating.

As far as the compression socks go, my Dr recommended Injinji socks prior to my surgery.  Injinji primarily makes toe socks, but the compression version doesn't compress the toes, thankfully; just the foot and calves.  I wore the compression sock on my non-surgical foot at my 2wk post op appt, and Dr said I could put on the other pair before leaving since I had them w me.  I was too scared to though since my stitches were just removed at the time and didn't want to mess w or move my steri strips.  So I threw those back in my purse, and the nurse bandaged me up w compression dressings instead, then I put on another pair of Injinji no-show socks that weren't so tight and that kept my toes warm from the cold.  These compression socks are super tight and they do help w keeping the swelling at bay.  However, I didn't use them on my surgical foot until my incision fully healed and all scabbing were gone (4-5wks post op).  Also, I practically replaced most of my socks w Injinji toe socks, mostly no shows.  After going through my sock drawer shortly after surgery realized most of my socks were tight in the toe area.  I even cut a few regular socks on the ends to allow toes to be free but have the rest of my foot remain warm and covered.  Lol.  Also, the Injinji toe socks seem to work best for me in combination w the Correct Toes as I use that as a non-surgical approach for my other foot that has a minor bunion.  Actually used it inside my shoes during last Wednesday's event, but not in the surgical foot.

BTW, thanks for thinking of me regarding my Wednesday event.  All went well.  I was slow moving throughout the night.  Was on feet for most of the 4hrs.  So I was depleted by the time I got home.  Hubby came over to the event on his was home to check on how I was holding up for my first day out on my own.  Haha.  Had him carry my gear bag backpack to the car cause that felt even heavier than when I first arrived on site.  Calves were tight and sore the next 2 days and I couldn't even move around the house w/o pain.  This used to happen years back when I would stop hitting the gym then suddenly jump back in as if I've been working out daily.  Wrong choice indeed!  Anywho, didn't realize I over extended myself that night but it makes sense since 7wks prior was not moving as much.  It was a fun night shooting nevertheless.  So much is going on and some folks think that now that I'm back out shooting that I'll hit the road running and then some.  Not quite!  Dr said increase my activity 2wks at a time.  So been doing extra exercises for my legs here at home on top of trying to stay consistent w my ROMs.  We were able to ride our bikes for about 5 miles over the weekend.  I'm trying to keep moving so my legs get used to working w my foot again.  Need to get ready to be on my feet, maybe even dancing, by first week in April.,,, step daughter in CA has engagement party finally scheduled that we surely cannot miss.  We'll see how that goes especially w shoes. 😩😣😐

Good to hear you're already using the CicaTape!  How do you like it?  I wore it for last week's event and it stayed on for 2 days after until which I removed it cause I wanted to see how my scar looked.  Still there 😜 and it looked flat too!  I also wanted to use EOs on it and didn't want to wait.  I have a light small scar on my wrist from 4 decades ago which I may use the tape on.  I'm not using the tape daily since I'm using EOs on my foot w ROMs.  Though I may do so in combination.

Other good news... been able to successfully extract my big toe and pop/crack my big toe's joint on a daily basis lately like Dr suggested! 😂  I'm finding that my toe is able to get into the down position further after popping the joint.  Sounds weird and gross but toe actually does better afterwards.

Hope you are recovering well!  Congrats on getting to your 4wks!!  Or are you at 5wks now?

• Posted

I love the Cica tape! For sure it’s helped my old scar on my left foot. I do find they sometimes come off and I find them in odd places. Same with the steri strips. Last one finally came off this a.m. I’ll try to post pic to see if you applied your EO on them at this point. 

Thanks for the info on the socks. I looked at them and commented on them on our other forum. Don’t feel like you have to post twice! I’ll see it somewhere! I truly appreciate all of the help and advice you have given to me! So nice to talk with others who “get it “ 

im going to try the ROM again today so I can let the nurse know on Monday exactly what hurts, is that normal, etc. I have a bad habit of always doubting myself. 

Wow, the toe pop! good for you! I’m thinking they may do that to me on Monday. I sort of hope so, but it’s sort of scary as well! 

I must say your doctor is very helpful on advice to you! That’s super! I was told only the minimal and it’s when I asked at the 2 week appt. the rest of my messages have gone unanswered, so I’ll be glad to go back on Monday. I’ll need to make sure I have all my questions written down! 

I’m going to make up those EOs today. I may not have the H one though. I need to get down on the floor in my cupboard to access the ones I don’t use regularly, so that’s why I have put it off. 

• Posted

I'm always glad to share my experience and tips 😊 during this recovery time.  I know we all get a mix of information, little or much, whether from our surgeon, others, or our own research.  I figured if I was on the other end, I'd definitely want to know too.  Kinda like paying it forward.

I'm actually feeling a little bit discouraged at the moment about my scar.  I know I'm not supposed to compare.  However, after seeing everyone's photos of scars that are further along, I can't help but wonder why mine looks soooo visible.  It's bad enough my scar is 4" long.  Maybe I've been in denial all this time 😞 cause it's dark and puffy and stretched out horizontally.  My Dr says scars get worse before they get better and that's expected, but now I wonder for how long more.  He did say during my 6wk PO that my scar seemed raised than normal.  I guess I was just too optimistic and excited to be released from the air cast, in to regular shoes, and approved to drive again that I didn't let his observation soak in until now.  It definitely looks like keloids or a very visible hypertrophic scar.  When I did my research on scars learned that those w darker pigments are more proned to keloids.  I'm a American-born Pacific Islander (Filipina) so my skin tone is like an olive, light/medium tan.  This puts me in the keloids proned category.  I was able to figure out how to post pix via my laptop earlier today, but don't seem to have that feature available when viewing from my iPhone.  In a sense, I'm glad now I can't from my phone as I feel a bit embarrassed now to share scar photos. 😣🙈😔  Oh well.  I'll get past this valley, I'm sure. 😐  I'll definitely be using this CicaTape more now because of this, and just use the EOs surrounding it during ROMs, and maybe wrap foot w compression wrap or use the ultra compression socks on top.  I really do like that the CicaTape disguises the scar which will come in handy during daughter's engagement party in 2wks and while out and about in our ol' stomping grounds of sunny SoCal.  I can hardly wait to go!! 🌊🏖

I did get to wear the tape and ultra compression socks w the new Topo shoes tonight for a big group gathering.  Was able to move around a lil' faster and my gait seemed to have improved.  Hopefully will continue on the up and up moving forward.

BTW, nice profile picture of you, husband and doggie!  I'll see if I could at least post ours over the wknd some time too. 

Anywho, enjoy your weekend and surprise party!!! 😊 

• Posted

Oh Ria :-( I want to hug you! you have been so very positive in all of your posts and have tamed my Wiley antics and frantic posts so well. I truly appreciate you, all of you! 

when end I had my left foot bunion done over 10 years ago, the scar was red for almost a year. I’ll need to take a pic of it now, it’s barely visible. Especially since the Cica tape! And I did nothing to it back then 

as I didn’t know better. The one helpful thing the nurse told me was because I’m prone to keloid, to massage the scar back and forth to try and “push” the scar tissue around more. Mine is still so scabbed, but I try to really do this because I had such an odd sensation of the scar on my left foot. Now it’s just so itchy all around it! I feel a raised area, more so than the two other incision areas, on the smallest one between my toes. Since I’m going to the nurse tomorrow I’m going to ask about it. And I’m also going to ask about K tape! my mentor (silly sounding but she really is truly that when I was so very sick years ago) said to look into that. She is all about only natural. So that’s on the list also! 

dont despair! Mine was really red for a year. Now it’s white, it was pretty thick, but since the Cica it’s gone down. 

Well, poo, my iPad is dying.... one of your comments got deleted by the moderator! :-( 

i hope you are having a super day! I have to go into work at 4:00 a.m. tomorrow, double bubble!!! I may dress tonight and sleep in the car!! Lol :-) 

healing and positive thoughts to you! 

• Posted

Hi Dona. I have had a bunionectomy together with straightening of toes. The op was on 31st January and since then i have had my stitches and pins removed. However I am still wearing a shoe with just a heal (as not allowed to use my toes) . I have not been given any exercises to do but only told to rest the foot as much as possible. My big toe is quite turned upwards and seems to be resting on the other toe. Seems such a long process but hopefully next week I will go for an x-ray and perhaps start wearing normal shoes....... that apparently is another problem. Perhaps someone could suggest what shoes they bought as I will definitely need to buy new shoes because of the swelling.
    • Posted

Hi Marie - you and I are exactly the same.   Same date - everything.... You don’t live in Glasgow do you lol.
    • Posted

Hi Jane. I live in Malta but am pleased that we can compare notes. I am doing no exercises amend so am feeling my ankle so heavy and stiff.
    • Posted

Hi Marie - my toes are very stiff and I haven’t been instructed to do any exercise either but to keep black heel boot on and foot elevated as much as possible till ne t week.  

I’m so  looking forward to getting trainers on and exercising!,

Jane

• Posted

Yes Jane we are both in the exact situation. I personally cannot see myself getting into trainers as yet. Like many who went through what we are going through, we might have to wear a different size of shoes which is really no big deal. Somehow I am feeling that the swelling is much worse than a week ago... in all fairness I have been overdoing it a bit. I am a bridge player and did play for 3 hours, mostly with my leg up but also so uncomfortable. Anyway am resting as much as possible and trying to get rid of the dryness I have on my foot. Hey I am 69 years so guess the healing is much slower 😀🤔

• Posted

hi Marie! is your big toe resting on toe resting on your other toe after the surgery?  Mine was starting to before the surgery but is straight now. I’d make sure that’s the process for you? 

With my first two surgeries for bunions on my left foot by the same doctor I was given no instructions for exercise. I had an orthopedic surgeon this time to my right foot and at my post op appointment was told I could start wiggling my toes and doing the tow exercises. For me this is really important because I still have very painful times in my left foot. And my big toe on that foot is  very stiff still. So this time around I want to make sure I can do all I can do to help it. 

sounds like you had a little more than I did and exercises may not be appropriate for you quite yet. I would doublecheck for sure though. It sure gets frustrating and lonely sometimes and it’s very hard to explain the pains to someone who hasn’t been through it. This group has helped me a lot To see but I’m not the only one going through issues. Sometimes we  just need some assurance :-)

I have been trying to figure out what shoes I will need as well. I’m not sure if we can mention friends on here or not. I haven’t tried any yet but I have a small list going from what I have read people recommend. It’s going to be very difficult with the swelling, and because I am on a knee scooter I don’t see myself shopping too much. And it’s very difficult to find shoes Without trying them on, especially now! I wish there was a bunion shoe swap site :-)

• Posted

I have Found that my threshold for working is about five hours. I have a desk job but I do get up quite a bit I’ve noticed especially because I have to use the scooter so that gets very tiresome! I am working from home for the most part and even then after sitting with my foot propped after a while I have had it! Sometimes we have to remind ourselves to slow down, listen to our body and simply take it easy. 

Are you  both able to walk on your foot with the heel only ? Or are you  total non-weight-bearing like me? 

• Posted

Hi all. Yes I can actually walk well on my heel. I am hoping to get rid of the shoe next Wednesday as I have an app with my surgeon. Cannot see it happening at the moment as my big toe is still turned upwards and resting on the other toe. Besides that I cannot move my middle toes as yet. Will definitely keep you all informed as what the doctor tells me next Wednesday. Have a lovely weekend and hope the weather is kind to you😀. The weather in Malta is pretty warm at around 22./24.

• Posted

Hi - I’m the same as Marie but am finding now it’ easier to walk without the heel boot but am afraid to do that until given the all clear next Friday.  That will be over six weeks.  Still get twangs of pain which make me flinch but they are fleeting and getting less and less.  I can move all my toes but they are still a bit stiff.  I wasn’t given any exercises to do.  Like Marie I’ll let you know what happpens next week.  I’m glad I only have two feet lol!!

Jane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.